• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

5432 Diesel Engine Exhaust Riser

fogbank

I have looked high and low for a source for a new exhaust riser for my 5432 engine in the San Francisco area but have been unsuccessful. All I have been able to find is M40 references for which there are 2 types of risers, one has a large hump on it and the other is a more normal pipe bent at a 35 degree angle.
Any assistance in finding a source for this part (I don`t understand why there are two differently shaped parts) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Replacements, especially cast steel ones, can be hard to find. My replacement riser was custom built in 2004 from three stainless steel 90-degree elbows welded together, plus a little more pipe. The engine end was threaded to match the flange on the engine, and the sea water port added as shown in the picture.

It is still going strong after 17 years and over 1000 engine operating hours. A carbon ring that forms inside, around the area of the sea water port, needs to be cleaned out every couple or three years, which I have done using a screwdriver to get the big pieces and then a wire wheel and a drill. The riser doesn't have to be removed to clean it. I don't know where you would get that done in the Bay area, but a few phone calls to boat yards will probably get you in touch with a fabricator. A good fabricator can provide a riser that will last you a long time. Good luck!

New2-InchExhaustElbowJuly2004.JPG

Reefpoints

Member I
Often there are 2 versions for this part depending on how deep your engine sits in the boat. One has a riser (bigger hump) for engines that sit lower in the boat (which consequently have more risk of backflow from the wet exhaust system). My understanding is that sailboats usually sit below the water line and use the riser version.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

fogbank

Often there are 2 versions for this part depending on how deep your engine sits in the boat. One has a riser (bigger hump) for engines that sit lower in the boat (which consequently have more risk of backflow from the wet exhaust system). My understanding is that sailboats usually sit below the water line and use the riser version.
Makes sense. Thank you for the insight.
Fogbank

fogbank

Replacements, especially cast steel ones, can be hard to find. My replacement riser was custom built in 2004 from three stainless steel 90-degree elbows welded together, plus a little more pipe. The engine end was threaded to match the flange on the engine, and the sea water port added as shown in the picture.

It is still going strong after 17 years and over 1000 engine operating hours. A carbon ring that forms inside, around the area of the sea water port, needs to be cleaned out every couple or three years, which I have done using a screwdriver to get the big pieces and then a wire wheel and a drill. The riser doesn't have to be removed to clean it. I don't know where you would get that done in the Bay area, but a few phone calls to boat yards will probably get you in touch with a fabricator. A good fabricator can provide a riser that will last you a long time. Good luck!

View attachment 39796

View attachment 39796

fogbank

I appreciate your recommendation. Looks like a nice clean piece of fabrication. May I ask what type of threaded pipe the fabricator used to weld to the stainless steel 90 degree elbow fittings?

Thank you
Fogbank

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I appreciate your recommendation. Looks like a nice clean piece of fabrication. May I ask what type of threaded pipe the fabricator used to weld to the stainless steel 90 degree elbow fittings?

Thank you
Fogbank
I do not have the details on the type of stainless steel used. A fabricator can probably recommend what stainless type to use, if it makes any difference. Those threads are tapered (pipe threads) and they were cut onto the elbow to match the flange threads. You will need to supply the flange from your engine to the fabricator so he can measure and match them.