'83 Ericson 381 for sale

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have reluctantly listed my '83 Ericson 381. My wife is pregnant. With TWIN boys. We have a 21 month old daughter that loves the boat but makes actually sailing quite difficult as she is so mobile now. Having a pregnant wife and a toddler on board has made this season a difficult one. Throw in two infants next season and very little boating will be done, probably for a season or two. That said we have come to the conclusion that a lobster style boat would be a better choice for at least 5 years or so. I hate the idea of not sailing but I hate being away from the water more. I'm asking all the money for the E381, I let the broker price it. Considering what I have into it or what it would take to go through another E38 its a relative bargain. Obviously serious offers result in negotiations and I would much rather this boat go to an Ericson familiar person if possible. The boat will continue to be used and cared for. Any questions email, more pics on request. RT

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=2504&url=

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Well, after discussing it with the broker, comparing the comp's, etc. he suggested lowering the price. Funny, since he priced the boat initially! I've known him for a long time, I think he was just trying to be as optimistic as possible for me. That said, I have reduced the asking price to $59,500.00. There is still negotiation room, I'd rather see it go to one in the Ericson family, than just anyone off the street. The link should be updated in the near future. We will be sad to see her go but moving on is the right thing for us. RT

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Sadness... There will be a day real soon you will want her back. Tha kids will be sailing age before you know it, it might be worth holding on to even with reduced sailing time for 2 or 3 seasons then when you are ready to go out again you won't have to spend years more getting anotherb first class boat. I know it is a hard choice and money can be tough, just saying a fer years slipps by fast! Edd

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I appreciate the comments, I enjoy the boat and the community here. We had a terrible season here in RI, little wind and fickle weather. Finally got out today and sailed for 6 hours. Made me remember why I love the E381, it sails so well when the conditions are right. That said, just because the boat is for sale, doesn't mean its selling..... Given the market for boat sales I'm not too optimistic. We still intend to keep her to a reasonable standard and sail her when time allows. It may well be that we own her for years to come. If she doesn't sell and sailing does prove to be too much next season we may just "pickle" everything on the boat, haul and shrinkwrap, and buy a powerboat for the short term. Powerboats are dirt cheap these days. RT

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
now there is a plan! good winds and power boats come and go... but great yachts and friends like those you have are hard to replace. hope all is well with the new addition. Edd

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
YS Pedestal

Sorry to hear about the decision to sell.
I thought I would ask if you had an extra throttle lever lying around to sell since we have the same year 381.
Thanks
Gary Peterson
734-676-0405