• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A cheap lesson about Lee Shores

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
This may be of value to newer sailors.

Returning from Two Harbors to the Port of Los Angeles this past weekend was a great sail with 13-15 kts on my beam. My goal was to hit the breakwater entrance dead center instead of motor sailing from Palos Verdes as punishment for misjudging the long shore current. As I approached nearer shore "Hurricane Gulch" lived up to its name. If Point Conception can be called "Little Cape Horn" then Point Fermin can be called "Little Conception" because the unfamiliar certainly have little conception of what the winds can do here. I have no wind meter but based on sea conditions I would put the wind speed at force 6 (22-27Kts) though there were some characteristics of a 7. With the wind on my beam and occasionally going down wind to compensate for the current I hit the entrance dead center, sailed a safe distance inside, then turned into the wind so I could sail west toward the main channel and past the point where the Coast Guard station is. That is when things changed.

I have often read about the dangers of a lee shore but never understood why you could not just tack out of the situation. Now I know why.

In a moment after turning into the wind the vessel was "on its ear" heeled over further than I had yet to experience and then came the dilemma. Turning into the wind relived the heel but then we would loose way and risk being in irons, bad on a lee shore. But turning away from the wind laid the boat over risking the ability of the keel and rudder to bite which means you can slide sideways instead of forward, also bad on a lee shore. Run forward and put in a reef? It's difficult when you are alone, or when you recognize too late where you have placed yourself.

This situation lasted maybe 15 minutes within the calm waters of the port, I had plenty of room to pass the point veering into and way from the wind trying to balance the heel and the luff to keep way. Once the point was crossed I could sail on the beam again.

So now I understand how someone could be trapped against a lee shore and it was a very cheap lesson.

Gaviate

Member III
How very interesting...In my few seasons of solo sailing, the windward sail has proven to be the most challenging. Indeed, adequate speed through the water is needed for any expectation of maneuvering. Combine 15 knots of wind with 3 ft or greater seas, and tacking becomes quite difficult. Several times I actually just gybed my way around to new heading as the sea state and wind repeatedly pushed me back down midway throough my tacking attempt. Timing of the turn is equally important I've learned, it seems if the bow is at the crest of a wave just at slowest speed, the wind will push it back down as it falls into trough where the water grabs it and stops the turn! I was in open water and just playing (practicing) around. Such a maneuver on a lee shore could be impossible as I suspect my position changed by 50 yards or more (guessing) downwind from were I started the turn to where I had new heading and making way.
All in all.....I just love this stuff!!
Cheers

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I agree with your point of view on sailing. It's like reading the greatest book you ever read while knowing there's always new chapters ahead.
I imagine there's more than one way to get stuck on a lee shore, one of them is being overpowered. If you are overpowered tacking only changes the direction of your troubles, you either luff, or heal over and slide towards shore. My cheap lesson has motivated me to decide that I need to run all reefing lines to the cockpit. The wisdom of that has become very clear.

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
When you sail on a river with moderate amounts of wind the lee shore is always in view! I rigged my E27 (tiller model) with a singleline reef system that I could deploy (or undo) in minutes singlehanded. The E27 has a small main and the tiller location puts you in reach of all the controls led aft. There is a technique to it, but once you have it, you are good to reef whenever you need/want it. I miss that boat! I have done the same on my Olson 911 but it is a much larger main and take a bit more effort.

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
I am leery of making suggestions when I was not there and am not sure I fully understand. But in case it is useful to anyone:

Even in a J24 (which I presume is at least as tippy at an E27), I have generally been able to handle 25 kts and 2-3 ft wind waves -- and I have sailed J24s a lot in that -- even when not properly reefed... by flogging the (searching for polite word) out of the main, while keeping the jib reasonably trimmed and then pinching ("feathering") to keep the boat flat (or flat-ish). The flogging noise and motion can make it dramatic, but in terms of boat headway it has worked fine (at least assuming no more than a 100% jib, and wind speed not varying/gusting too wildly). (PS: Since someone on this board knows where I sailed those J24's, for the record I tried to take care of the canvas -- I only did this when I was caught off guard and was already working out my plan to reef :)

In terms of tacking in such situations, a trick I learned from Tom Cunliffe's books, and which has served me well, is in high wind and wind waves/chop, when you will lose headway as as you turn into/through the wind, if you are not already close-hauled when you start the tack it helps to keep sheeting in the main (as much as you can, anyway, if overpowered) while heading up to keep the main powered up as you turn into the wind. That helps power you through the turn. Without that I can frequently blow the tack, an obvious problem if you are fighting to stay away from a lee shore.

Glad it all worked out well; I still find it surprising how quickly a relaxing sail can sometimes turn dramatic.

Gaviate

Member III
blow the tack,
An apt phrase, in my case aka 270 degree gybe! And not to confuse apples with pears but I happened to be sailing with headsail only. Thanks for the trick idea with main and jib.... more things to play with!!
If the wind is up to 15, I will typically rig for reefing while setting up for sailing (I now always stow all sails below deck while away), tho I havent set up the single line idea yet. My Tack reef line is led to cockpit but the aft reef line stays on the boom (its right there above your head on the 27). Even tho rigged for reefing, I've actually only put in a reef once whilst sailing... wind picked up to 25 with gusts to 30....what an excellent sail that was...my pulse quickens just with the memory of it...