A minor but very annoying problem...any ideas?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have a minor but very annoying problem, for which I need a good solution. The shackle on my main halyard is so stiff to open that I can only do it with pliers. It is a common type--an elongated U shape with a pin at the open end that is opened/closed by grasping a small attached piece and locking it in place (sorry I can't do a picture). It is very annoying to have to get a pliers each time I want to attach/unattach the halyard, and I think the small locking piece is gradually getting a bit bent from having to force it with pliers. To make matters worse, the halyard is fairly new and I think it's Staset line, and the shackle is spliced perfectly--so I would prefer not to replace either. But this is sufficiently frustrating that I have been tempted to cut off the shackle, replace it with one that's easier to open, and tie it on with a bowline (I don't know how to splice).
Before I do that, does anyone have any better ideas to solve this annoying problem?
Thanks,
Frank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would use big-leverage pliers, but verrrrry gently, to just slightly compress the sides of the shackle. Just enough to let the pin make its little over-center turn with acceptable friction. My largest "gas pliers" might be the weapon of choice for this.
The trick is to have enough force, but only applied a mm at a time....
:)

A really large C-clamp might be good for this, alternatively. It's a matter of controled leverage -- that's why a hammer would be (sacrilege!) the wrong tool..
:rolleyes:

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Loren's method may do the job, but before trying it I would take a close look at the shackle to see if there are any sharp edges on the groves or the pin. A gentle application of a fine file might eliminate the cause of the problem. If it is still too stiff I would start squeezing.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
New Shackle

Frank---- Just get a new shackle spliced in. What will that cost you? Take your halyard to a rigging guy and say, "fix this" please. Shazam. Rob

stbdtack

Member III
Frank, I have all my halyards with a big loop spliced in. That way you can just put on a new shackle when one is a problem. No need to pay for a new splice.

Attachments

• HMB 018.jpg
    HMB 018.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 295

Bob in Va

Member III
More control

You can compress the jaws of the shackle more easily and with more control if you put them in a vise. You want to be very patient with this approach, gently compressing them just a tiny bit with each attempt, so that it might take you 5 or 6 (or more) attempts before you get the jaws to "deform" just enough so that the pin lever can turn relatively freely, but not so much that it won't catch at all. Sometimes these shackles will spread just a bit after the boat is sailed hard on a real windy day - I remember on a boat I used to own that I could tell it had been a good day when the jib halyard shackle was hard to unclip.

Fencer21

Member II
I too have the same problem, I thought it was just me.

Hmm, I think I'll give that (squeezzing the shackle it a little) a whirl as well, see what happens.

Captron

Member III
Maybe a knot would do?

I eliminated the shackle altogether in favor of a knot ... my halyard is now all rope ... I replaced the wire/rope original halyard.

My main headboard has two holes in it so I poke a loop through the forward one, run the tail through the second and then through the loop. Hoisting pressure pulls the loop tight against the tail end.

Of course, we're cruisers not racers and the main halyard stays attached to the sail all the time. I suppose it will be a bear to release... haven't tried it yet. Also our halyard is plain old Stay-Set dacron yacht braid not some high tech line.

The advantages are ... I could haul the headboard closer to the top of the mast than would be possible with a shackle and I eliminate a small bit of weight aloft. Disadvantages ... haven't found any yet but it may be difficult to release. Chafe is not an issue.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for your suggestion. How do you keep the main halyard from "clanking" against the mast in a breeze while at dock or anchor, if you don't remove it from the head of the sail?
Thanks,
Frank.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
fouling the halyard

Leading it from the headboard we invert it over a reefing hook at the boom, then fling the rest of the halyard around the spreaders and snug it tight. The tension on the halyard then is pulling down on the headboard, keeping the mainsail stack down snug also.

Some people just use a piece of line to lash the halyard away from the mast.

Frank Langer said:
Thanks for your suggestion. How do you keep the main halyard from "clanking" against the mast in a breeze while at dock or anchor, if you don't remove it from the head of the sail?
Thanks,
Frank.

Captron

Member III
Clanking halyard

Frank Langer said:
Thanks,
Frank.

About like Captain Nero ... we have a 'Mack-Pack' lazy jack/sail cover system ... we zip the sail cover up to the mast ...grab the halyard above the headboard where it exits the sail cover zipper ... pull enough slack to tie it off to a cleat on the boom (back near where the vang attaches) then tension the halyard and cleat it off. No banging...:)

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Capt Ron the racer dude...

Capt Ron, the real heavy duty racer dudes have started doing your method to reduce the weight of the shackle aloft and to allow for an easy fix for chafe. Of course, these are the same guys who remove the halyard completely and use messengers right after the race:egrin: .
FWIW, I've started using "luggage tag" splices like Ben's. Makes stuff pretty easy.
Chris