AC Power

SASSY

Member II
I would like to install a xentrex 3000w invertor I was given, but I'm not sure how. Idealy I would like to have the inveter power the existing AC system when not under shore power. We don't run alot of AC items but if my wife would like to use the hair dryer, or microwave on the hook who am I to argue. We run a house bank of 4 golf cart 6 volt deep cycle batteries, producing 12volts. And one start battery. I will be using a honda 2000 propane generator to top up the batteries when on the hook for exteded periods. How would I design this type of system. Does the inverter have a remote on/off trigger that can be mounted on my panel? Should the inverter be installed as close to the batteries as possible?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mike.Gritten

Member III
This can be a very complex issue, not easily answered in this forum. Buy/read Nigel Calder's book and it gives excellent advice based on many different scenarios. There are many safety issues to be addressed, and I found the book to be an excellent guide and I now have a system that works how I want and is safe and compliant with ABYC recommendations.

Mick

Member I
I'm just finishing up installing their Freedom 15, 1500W Inverter/charger on my dad's boat. Is yours the Freedom 30 or is it one of their inverter only models?

If its the Freedom 30 there is a remote panel for it (probably is one for the inverter only models too but I don't know about those models). All the marine stores seem to sell it for $200-$300 but I found it brand new on eBay for $50 shipped.

For wiring if you don't have the manual you can download a PDF copy of it from Xantrex's site. It will have a few common wiring examples in there.

Jon Libby

Member II
A/c switch

Indeed look for the remote panel, this will allow you a lot more than just to turn the inverter on or off. You'll monitor your batteries and charging from there. I installed a main breaker right after the shore power plug. There ia a max lenght that you should keep in mind. Shorter the better. After the main breaker I installed a dual source a/c panel http://bluesea.com/category/7/30/products/8462 That will select from the shore or the inverter. I thought there would be times when plugged into shore power that I would not want the inverter supplying the boat power. The inverter could still charge the batteries but on board A/C would come from shore power. I've used the setup for a season and it works great.

chaco

Member III
Battery Storage

As you want to run AC Appliances off the GRID, you will need to be running your engine or a generator FULL TIME when they are on. We do not have enough storage battery for any of these on our boats. Our Systems are designed for Lighting / Water Pumping and Fridges at best. Even then we have to Charge our batteries every 2-3 days. Your inverter is for Power Boats with an Engine or Generator running constantly to meet the Loads.

Last edited: