• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

actual weight vs displacement

Puget sailor

Member II
I always assumed that displacement corresponds roughly to dry boat weight. Sailboat data shows the 32-3 at 9800 lbs. When I was hauled out back in July the lift operator said his equipment was showing north of 12k lbs. Of course it may not be all that accurate, but he seemed to think so. Anybody ever get an accurate weight of one of these boats?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Every modern traveLift probably has a reasonably accurate gauge reporting out on a load cell or two.
I have never heard of a boat yard that had these (re)calibrated, but it's certainly possible.
Over a decade ago I asked the long-term operator of the lift at a local yard if he could tell or verify what I read that the displacement of our boat was.
He said that our boat weighed approx 11K, and we were equipped for normal use and day sailing. When I told him that the "brochure displacement" was 10600# , he said that sounded right, based on his familiarity with his TraveLift.

That said, if you have full-up tanks, and all the stuff that goes with overnighting on board, and food, plus all the sailing/cruising bits like anchor setups, primary and backup.... etc... it's easy to add a lot of weight to what started out as an empty boat.

I wonder what the optional second water tank & winch upgrade and spinnaker package added to our "base boat"? Maybe another 200# ++. And then we added a furler. And a bunch of big fenders. A second battery bank. And...... and... :)

Last edited: