Advice and assistance on circumnavigation of the Great Lakes

jamescio

Member II
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread...I am coming down to the wire on my "retirement" trip and bucket list goal and plan on trying to circumnavigate the Great Lakes beginning (SOLO) in 2019. I have spent years, literally, preparing including updating my 1982 Ericson 30+ for safety, practicality and comfort. Here's my current question; I am really trying to figure storage for dry goods and mechanical equipment like impellers etc.? The help I need is what do experienced cruisers most commonly need...I am looking for a checklist to put together with essentials and suggested quantities. I know I don't 50 packets of Ramen, but what is a reasonable number. How many oil filters, diesel filters and mechanical needs. Any essential tools?

Also, I seeking advice on storage techniques to include things like Tupperware containers, sizes etc. I think I will stay in mainly marinas along the way and will do some anchoring, but want to be prepared in any eventualities! I have spent endless hours trying to prepare, but realize "you don't know, what you don't know!"

I am hoping for as much input as any of my fellow Ericson sailors are willing to give and assist me with. Thanks again and I look forward to your experience and advice.

Jim Ciotti
S/V Southern Cross
1982 Ericson 30+

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello Jim,

Besides the list of actual preparations planning you are seeking help with, you may want to consider joining a local area yacht club - if you don't already belong.

...Reason being, most clubs throughout the Great Lakes region have reciprocal agreements on dockage for visiting yachts. Most often, at least, the first night's stay is free. Usually, if there is a rate, it is much cheaper than that of commercial marinas. This also opens up a much larger choice of sailing destinations while pursuing your dream trip.

While sitting fireside in the cold of winter, this is a good time for you to check out various clubs, membership costs and whether they are members of "AYC" (Affiliated Yacht Clubs). We've been members of the Ford Yacht Club on Grosse Ile, MI. since the 90's and have enjoyed this benefit many times plus visited other clubs as far away as Hawaii and Florida. You always meet great people who are anxious to hear your adventures and offer advice and help on any problems you may have along the way.

...As for the list of what to bring: From one who has cruised the Bahamas extensively as well as Lake Erie - You can never be prepared enough.

At LEAST consider: "Murphy's Law" of What can go wrong will go wrong at THE worst possible time.

At BEST consider: "O'Toole's Law" of Murphy was an Optimist!"

Fair Winds!

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You know the usual engine spares to have. Fuel filters top the list, and how many depends on whether your filters tend to clog.

To me, a full tool kit is most important. I say, bring everything in the garage you've ever used on the boat. Also, some plywood and some 2x4s, for disaster or temp repair of minor surprises. Cut the lumber to fit into some hidden part of the boat. Just good to know it's there.

The idea is not so much to survive some ultimate storm, but to avoid trying to find a mechanic on Sunday in the middle of summer in an overbooked marina. Success is to be a self-sufficient as possible.

Here is a summary of offshore prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCUAa3jET4A

frick

Member III
Sailing the Great Lakes

I grew up sailing the Great Lakes. Warm Clothes in the Hots Summer are necessary as it can get very cold in the open water.
Spare parts are always nice to have... Extra Fuel...

But I would plan two of three ports in different directions on every leg of your journey that you can dive into in case of storms.
Also int he old days you could talk to Canadian Customs with your float plan which used to make it all easier... These Day, I knot sure how it works as I sail the South Shore of Long Island and Canada is a long way off.

My all time old favorite stop growing up in Port Huron....
On the Canadian side... of Lake Huron.... Georgian Bay. Clear Clear Water that you can see 90 foot down.

Rick+

jamescio

Member II
I grew up sailing the Great Lakes. Warm Clothes in the Hots Summer are necessary as it can get very cold in the open water.
Spare parts are always nice to have... Extra Fuel...

But I would plan two of three ports in different directions on every leg of your journey that you can dive into in case of storms.
Also int he old days you could talk to Canadian Customs with your float plan which used to make it all easier... These Day, I knot sure how it works as I sail the South Shore of Long Island and Canada is a long way off.

My all time old favorite stop growing up in Port Huron....
On the Canadian side... of Lake Huron.... Georgian Bay. Clear Clear Water that you can see 90 foot down.

Rick+

Rick I plan on spending some time in Tobermory Ontario...Maybe even rent some dive gear!!!

woolamaloo

Member III
Jim,

Expanding on what kapnkd said, since you plan on spending most nights in marinas, being a member of an Inter-Lake Yachting Association (I-LYA) affiliated club is a huge help. You can’t directly join I-LYA. You have to be a member of a member club. Since you’re in Boardman, I’d guess you dock in one of the clubs east of Cleveland. Several of those are I-LYA clubs. If you’re not in one of those, you can (and should) join Great Lakes Cruising Club (GLCC) – which grants you I-LYA membership. This gives you transient access to way more clubs than you’d have available otherwise – and you’ll sometimes get a night or two free. Even if you already have I-LYA membership covered, I’d still recommend GLCC. I’ve found their online port reports to be invaluable in my cruising. It’s some of the best and most up to date cruising information for the Great Lakes available. Another wonderful benefit of GLCC is that almost every port has a port captain. You’ll have a phone number of someone in virtually every port who is eager to give you a hand to help you out of a rough spot – or tell you the best restaurant nearby.

I’ve become a bit of a spare part junkie. If one is good, two is obviously better. When I use a part, I tend to buy two to replace it – leaving me with three. If I could buy enough parts to build a second engine, I might feel comfortable about it. I’ll let you know. Obviously, the parts that I know how to replace get bought first. I’ve taken some basic diesel maintenance classes which made my list of self-replaceable parts larger. This was a great investment.

If I ever use a tool from home on the boat, it stays on the boat. I can drive to the store if I need a new tool at home. It’s not as easy on the water-or some remote marina.

Storage – particularly for clothes – is my biggest challenge on my 30+ when I’m on a cruise. A pair of khakis and a several club worthy shirts go in the hanging locker. I bring two laundry baskets for the rest. One basket has the clean clothes, the other holds the dirty. When the clean basket is empty (or nearly so), I find a place to do laundry. Luckily, I single-hand most of the time so I go a lot longer between needing to do laundry than I would if I had my wife with me. I’d love a better solution to this. I’ll be looking to how you handle it on your “retirement” cruise to help me when I do mine.

My other big discovery for storage is that I go through all the lockers at least annually. If I’ve not used an item in a couple years, I’m likely never going to and I bring it home to fill a misfit shelf in the garage. Of course, there’s a lot of internal debate for every item that gets purged. But this single behavior is the reason I have any storage space at all.

Customs is a whole other issue and I’ve had pretty good luck with the Small Vessel Reporting Service (SVRS). It’s free to join. You’ll need to go for an interview and get fingerprinted at a Customs office. But it will allow you to enter back into the U.S. with just a phone call. You log and activate your float plan ahead of time. Upon your arrival back in the U.S., call an 800 number, give them the active float plan number and they’ll give you a number to clear you back into the U.S. I’ve done it about a dozen times. Once, on a Sunday night, I had a hard time getting a human on the line and it took me 45 minutes. Every other time, I was checked in in 3-5 minutes - while on my own boat. If you also fly internationally, you might consider joining the Global Entry program first. It costs $100 for five years and may ease some airport travel for you. Its interview process is similar to the one you’d have to do for SVRS. BUT, once it’s complete, you can create your SVRS account without another interview. It’s two birds with one stone.

I’d love to hear the plans for your cruise. When are you planning your departure?

jamescio

Member II
You know the usual engine spares to have. Fuel filters top the list, and how many depends on whether your filters tend to clog.

To me, a full tool kit is most important. I say, bring everything in the garage you've ever used on the boat. Also, some plywood and some 2x4s, for disaster or temp repair of minor surprises. Cut the lumber to fit into some hidden part of the boat. Just good to know it's there.

The idea is not so much to survive some ultimate storm, but to avoid trying to find a mechanic on Sunday in the middle of summer in an overbooked marina. Success is to be a self-sufficient as possible.

Here is a summary of offshore prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCUAa3jET4A

Christian,

I am pretty good on tools and have everything down to two tool boxes, one even has some smaller power tools (drill, circular saw and sabre saw). I had never considered the wood (GREAT IDEA), I do have a small epoxy kit with some extra fabric and filler material. I know in your channel you have about every size of Tupperware container with various hardware. I have started collecting stainless screws, washers, nuts, rings and extra sailing hardware. I have extra impellers, primary and secondary fuel filters.

In fact, I have used your YouTube channel and read your book Alone Together. So you know, your kind of mentor for this! Thank you for spending so much time sharing your experiences.

On Thelonius II you have a considerable amount more storage, I know you had an Ericson 32 at one point which is closer to mine. Your trip is way different from mine, I can pull in and pick-up milk if I absolutely had to. I know you went big with canned stew and spaghetti, which I will do the same. Did you use the Tupperware and under saloon storage? I am half way tempted to pull the pre-molded storage area and drop it directly into the bilge. I have been lucky I have a dry boat and figure the containers will keep most of the gunk off.

Once again THANK YOU for your time, experience and insight!

jamescio

Member II
Jim,

Expanding on what kapnkd said, since you plan on spending most nights in marinas, being a member of an Inter-Lake Yachting Association (I-LYA) affiliated club is a huge help. You can’t directly join I-LYA. You have to be a member of a member club. Since you’re in Boardman, I’d guess you dock in one of the clubs east of Cleveland. Several of those are I-LYA clubs. If you’re not in one of those, you can (and should) join Great Lakes Cruising Club (GLCC) – which grants you I-LYA membership. This gives you transient access to way more clubs than you’d have available otherwise – and you’ll sometimes get a night or two free. Even if you already have I-LYA membership covered, I’d still recommend GLCC. I’ve found their online port reports to be invaluable in my cruising. It’s some of the best and most up to date cruising information for the Great Lakes available. Another wonderful benefit of GLCC is that almost every port has a port captain. You’ll have a phone number of someone in virtually every port who is eager to give you a hand to help you out of a rough spot – or tell you the best restaurant nearby.

I’ve become a bit of a spare part junkie. If one is good, two is obviously better. When I use a part, I tend to buy two to replace it – leaving me with three. If I could buy enough parts to build a second engine, I might feel comfortable about it. I’ll let you know. Obviously, the parts that I know how to replace get bought first. I’ve taken some basic diesel maintenance classes which made my list of self-replaceable parts larger. This was a great investment.

If I ever use a tool from home on the boat, it stays on the boat. I can drive to the store if I need a new tool at home. It’s not as easy on the water-or some remote marina.

Storage – particularly for clothes – is my biggest challenge on my 30+ when I’m on a cruise. A pair of khakis and a several club worthy shirts go in the hanging locker. I bring two laundry baskets for the rest. One basket has the clean clothes, the other holds the dirty. When the clean basket is empty (or nearly so), I find a place to do laundry. Luckily, I single-hand most of the time so I go a lot longer between needing to do laundry than I would if I had my wife with me. I’d love a better solution to this. I’ll be looking to how you handle it on your “retirement” cruise to help me when I do mine.

My other big discovery for storage is that I go through all the lockers at least annually. If I’ve not used an item in a couple years, I’m likely never going to and I bring it home to fill a misfit shelf in the garage. Of course, there’s a lot of internal debate for every item that gets purged. But this single behavior is the reason I have any storage space at all.

Customs is a whole other issue and I’ve had pretty good luck with the Small Vessel Reporting Service (SVRS). It’s free to join. You’ll need to go for an interview and get fingerprinted at a Customs office. But it will allow you to enter back into the U.S. with just a phone call. You log and activate your float plan ahead of time. Upon your arrival back in the U.S., call an 800 number, give them the active float plan number and they’ll give you a number to clear you back into the U.S. I’ve done it about a dozen times. Once, on a Sunday night, I had a hard time getting a human on the line and it took me 45 minutes. Every other time, I was checked in in 3-5 minutes - while on my own boat. If you also fly internationally, you might consider joining the Global Entry program first. It costs $100 for five years and may ease some airport travel for you. Its interview process is similar to the one you’d have to do for SVRS. BUT, once it’s complete, you can create your SVRS account without another interview. It’s two birds with one stone.

I’d love to hear the plans for your cruise. When are you planning your departure?

I am a member of Ashtabula Yacht Club. We are ILYA and have numerous reciprocity agreements with clubs even in Canada. I will join the GLCC. As you WELL KNOW, the hanging locker is not all that big, but I can get some things in there. My foul weather gear and 3 pairs of shoes. I like the laundry basket idea...I generally did a soft laundry bag for dirty clothes and stuffed it in the rear quarter berth. I figure I am going to try and do 7 days worth of clean T-shirts, shorts and a couple of pants, sweat-shirts and polo's.

This summer is dress rehearsal at least a 2-3 week trip planned (July-August)...I am going to try shooting down to Erie, PA (if the snow is melted by July), Youngstown, NY then Buffalo...Make a cross to Canada and go around Long Point to Port Stanley and maybe some of the other ports on the north shore. I will jump across probably from Stanley or Erieeau and go back to AYC. 2019 will be parts west and Georgian Bay. After that, 2020 will be the trip to Mac and hopefully make to Superior and the Apostle Islands!

I am planning on a trip to Annapolis for a the basic and advanced diesel mechanic class...I was hoping to find something a little more local, but that does not seem to be working out too well! You have a suggestion on that?

I have already done the US Customs registration number, but did not know about the trusted traveler program. Thanks for that tip!!!

I would be happy to exchange e-mail and phone numbers with you for more conversation. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

jamescio

Member II
Hello Jim,

Besides the list of actual preparations planning you are seeking help with, you may want to consider joining a local area yacht club - if you don't already belong.

...Reason being, most clubs throughout the Great Lakes region have reciprocal agreements on dockage for visiting yachts. Most often, at least, the first night's stay is free. Usually, if there is a rate, it is much cheaper than that of commercial marinas. This also opens up a much larger choice of sailing destinations while pursuing your dream trip.

While sitting fireside in the cold of winter, this is a good time for you to check out various clubs, membership costs and whether they are members of "AYC" (Affiliated Yacht Clubs). We've been members of the Ford Yacht Club on Grosse Ile, MI. since the 90's and have enjoyed this benefit many times plus visited other clubs as far away as Hawaii and Florida. You always meet great people who are anxious to hear your adventures and offer advice and help on any problems you may have along the way.

...As for the list of what to bring: From one who has cruised the Bahamas extensively as well as Lake Erie - You can never be prepared enough.

At LEAST consider: "Murphy's Law" of What can go wrong will go wrong at THE worst possible time.

At BEST consider: "O'Toole's Law" of Murphy was an Optimist!"

Fair Winds!

Thanks..I am a member of the Ashtabula Yacht Club and we are ILYA and AYC too. We have quite a few reciprocity agreements with several clubs...Thanks

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I am going to try shooting down to Erie, PA (if the snow is melted by July), Youngstown, NY then Buffalo...Make a cross to Canada and go around Long Point to Port Stanley and maybe some of the other ports on the north shore.

Isn't Youngstown NY on the wrong pond for you? :0

jamescio

Member II
I am a member of Ashtabula Yacht Club. We are ILYA and have numerous reciprocity agreements with clubs even in Canada. I will join the GLCC. As you WELL KNOW, the hanging locker is not all that big, but I can get some things in there. My foul weather gear and 3 pairs of shoes. I like the laundry basket idea...I generally did a soft laundry bag for dirty clothes and stuffed it in the rear quarter berth. I figure I am going to try and do 7 days worth of clean T-shirts, shorts and a couple of pants, sweat-shirts and polo's.

This summer is dress rehearsal at least a 2-3 week trip planned (July-August)...I am going to try shooting down to Erie, PA (if the snow is melted by July), Youngstown, NY then Buffalo...Make a cross to Canada and go around Long Point to Port Stanley and maybe some of the other ports on the north shore. I will jump across probably from Stanley or Erieeau and go back to AYC. 2019 will be parts west and Georgian Bay. After that, 2020 will be the trip to Mac and hopefully make to Superior and the Apostle Islands!

I am planning on a trip to Annapolis for a the basic and advanced diesel mechanic class...I was hoping to find something a little more local, but that does not seem to be working out too well! You have a suggestion on that?

I have already done the US Customs registration number, but did not know about the trusted traveler program. Thanks for that tip!!!

I would be happy to exchange e-mail and phone numbers with you for more conversation. Thanks for the advice!

Should have said Dunkirk NY, Buffalo then Welland Canal to Youngstown NY...Had Dunkirk and Youngstown NY confused...Duh!!!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Should have said Dunkirk NY, Buffalo then Welland Canal to Youngstown NY...Had Dunkirk and Youngstown NY confused...Duh!!!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]As one who has <s>never almost never rarely on occasion </s>OK, generally mis-spoke, I understand.[/FONT]

woolamaloo

Member III
I took my diesel classes from Great Lakes Diesel in Huron, Ohio. That would be about 2 hours from you. I took both their basic and “advanced” maintenance seminars a couple years ago. Basic was on Saturday and advanced was on Sunday over one weekend. We had 4-5 students and they had two engines including a Universal M-25 (3-cylinder version like my 2-cylinder M-18) that we actually worked with in class. I'm not ready to do a rebuild or anything after taking the classes but I'm a lot more confident on performing maintenance and troubleshooting bigger problems. You should give them a call to see when he’s holding the class again.

I assumed you meant Dunkirk instead of Youngstown but I’d be happy to handle the lines on your foredeck for the Welland Canal transit if you ARE going to Youngstown. The transit through the 8 locks takes about 8 hours. I’ve read they won’t let you do it with less than 3 people. They charge $240 each way. From Port Weller, Youngstown is only about 8nm away. But, if you’re going that far, Toronto is only another 26nm…

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Storage – particularly for clothes – is my biggest challenge on my 30+ when I’m on a cruise.

I mostly single-hand, too, and what I've landed on (until some better idea pops up) is to install a short section of curtain rod just below the headliner in the head compartment.

There's enough room to hang a bunch of things... and generally enough room to shove them to one end of the rod when I need to use the head. In between they're hanging in a protected space that's otherwise used only sporadically.

For small stuff (socks, etc) I have a couple of small "sailing bags" from my sailmaker. "small" means ~9" diameter, ~15" long. One is more than big enough for a week's worth of socks and underwear, another holds a handful of thermal-layer tops and bottoms, they keep such things dry and organized without taking up locker space. Plus they're squishable so you can stuff them into corners where a laundry basket might not fit. They can even serve double-duty as pillows in a pinch.

$.02
Bruce

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I mostly single-hand, too, and what I've landed on (until some better idea pops up) is to install a short section of curtain rod just below the headliner in the head compartment.

There's enough room to hang a bunch of things... and generally enough room to shove them to one end of the rod when I need to use the head. In between they're hanging in a protected space that's otherwise used only sporadically.

For small stuff (socks, etc) I have a couple of small "sailing bags" from my sailmaker. "small" means ~9" diameter, ~15" long. One is more than big enough for a week's worth of socks and underwear, another holds a handful of thermal-layer tops and bottoms, they keep such things dry and organized without taking up locker space. Plus they're squishable so you can stuff them into corners where a laundry basket might not fit. They can even serve double-duty as pillows in a pinch.

$.02
Bruce

Do you orient the curtain rod fore and aft or athwart ship?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks..I am a member of the Ashtabula Yacht Club and we are ILYA and AYC too. We have quite a few reciprocity agreements with several clubs...Thanks

GREAT! Hopefully we will see you at the Ford Yacht Club some time in the future!
Look for the Ericson 32 "CaryOn"

...I think we've spent a night at your club several years ago when moving the boat to the Erie Yacht Club for the annual Trans Erie Race when it was still being held.

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
Not sure how long/when you plan on going, but a big one up North I would say is a way to reduce humidity. If it gets cold, that means sweat, and lots of it. The E boats don't have insulation (being from SoCal, why would they?). Insulation would be a prime thing for me, it will also mean that your clothes will stay drier.

I wouldn't worry about metric tons of ramen, especially if you are port hopping. Here in MX, we pile on as much fresh goods as we can that will last about a week (when we are underway) and we keep enough dry goods on board to go for about a month if need be. (Diced tomatoes, beans, rice, pasta, canned fruits go well with booze, canned veggies if you are into that, tuna and chicken are nice if you are going beyond a week and don't have a freezer)

It seems silly to be underway without a hand line out the back.

Ever since bolting on the octopus off the back I couldn't imagine sailing distances without a windvane.

Tools are wise, so are spares, and you engine folks are really impressive at tetris-ing them in.

I would also say a bicycle/kayak is necessary to really explore to amazing places you will see.

Cheers from La Paz, MX!
-P