• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice for buying a second hand trailer for Ericson 26?

AnthonyWPrangley

Hi Folks

I was recently 'nearly bought' an Ericson 26 on CL. She was in the water and did not come with a trailer. Lovely boat at the right price. I am new to keelboats of this size. Without a decent trailer, I decided not to buy the boat.

I realised I needed to work out how to buy a trailer at the same time as working out how to buy a boat :)

I plan to store the boat for the Seattle winter at an affordable boat storage facility or on my father-in-laws large property. Either way - I need a trailer for twice yearly moves from bay buoy to storage and then back again - around 20 miles each way.

Does anyone have any advice about what to look for in a trailer for a boat like the Ericson 26 for occasional hauling... brakes, length, height and position of any vertical support posts. What is the 'good enough' quality needed to get started?

Once I know what to look for I imagine I go onto Craiglist or go by a boat and trailer yard of some sort...

I assume I would crane lift the boat onto the trailer? Or is there a scenario where I would self-launch a boat this size off an extended trailer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Ant

Mblace

Member II
Looking at the specs, an E-26 is 9’3” wide, which is considerably wider than the legal load width for road transport (8’) without special permits. I have an E-25CB, which based on my research is the “perfect” trailerable sailboat, dimensionally and in term of performance and design. The -26 is likely too ungainly to self-launch, considering keel depth (be a beast on a boat ramp) and not being rigged for easy mast stepping at the dock. That said, the E-26-2 still appears to be a very nice boat (scaled-up -25) which should be a joy to own and sail.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if the OP bought an Ericson 26-1, which is probably narrower than the later re-design?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Assuming we are talking about the E26-2, Randy Shelman, who used to own one and was a regular on this forum, trailered his from Oregon to Florida. He has some YouTube videos detailing this, as well as his mast raising/lowering system. You'll find his YouTube channel here. He also has produced some blog posts here, which you might consult as well.

His cross-country trip had some pretty hairy moments. Some of them were related to the marginal truck he used as the tow vehicle, but the trailer itself provided some drama as well.

Randy is a great guy, by the way, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be willing to answer questions for you even though he no longer owns the boat. You could try sending him a PM through the forum.

Mblace

Member II
I wonder if the OP bought an Ericson 26-1, which is probably narrower than the later re-design?
Wow! Quite a difference between the two... The -1 is just under 8’ beam. The cabin pictures in the brochure for the 26-2 look way roomier than my E-25... Still familiar, though.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I think he 'nearly bought' it: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/keeping-a-boat-on-a-buoy-on-puget-sound.19024/

The URL was no longer valid for the original listing, so hard to know which one it was. The URL said 1967, which would make it a Crealock, but he said 1976 in the description.

I was going to offer measurements as I have mine out of the water right now.

Ant - if you can confirm, I can try and help if it is indeed a 26-2.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I didn't think so, but couldn't be positive. I thought 1984 was the first production year for the 26-2.

1984 sounds right. The sailboatdata site is certainly incorrect in listing it at 1972. The 26-2 is a development of the 25+, and that was built from 1978 to 1984, when the 26-2 superceded it. Note, too, that the 26-2 sports the TAFG construction, which is of mid-80's vintage.

Mblace

Member II
To get back to the original question - buying a used trailer (or inspecting a trailer you get with a boat)... For any boat that’s going into salt water the trailer frame should be galvanized (or aluminum) with all galvanized or stainless hardware and galvanized or aluminum wheels. Tires should be no older than 10 years (check the date codes). Age is much more an issue than mileage. Bearings should have fresh grease and no play. Sailboat trailers are distinctly different than power boat trailers in terms of bunk layout, especially for a beamy displacement hull boat - be sure the bunk arrangement works properly for your boat. For a 5500# boat, you’ll need double 3500# axles with surge marine grade brakes. Length of trailer from bow stop (usually mounted on a taller post with manual winch) should be about 1-2’ less than the length of the hull loa. Overall trailer length from ball should be about 4’ - 6’ longer than the boat - more tongue length is better to get the trailer deeper on the ramp for launching. If it comes with a extender that’s even better (the extender is used only on the boat ramp). On the road, I use a bow eye with heavy shackle chained to the bow post, a crossover 3” ratchet strap aft of the cockpit, and a safety tether from the transom to the back of the trailer. A boat on the trailer is pretty secure if the bunks are well - fitted, you don’t want it “rocking” on the bunks or it will make the trailer feel like a bucking bronco when you go over bumps or undulations. And be sure your all-up loaded tongue weight is about 10-15% of the total trailer weight. Finally, you’ll need properly spaced and padded mast crutches (especially if you have a roller furler) and all lines safely tucked away in bags with Velcro closures - don‘t need a bunch of spaghetti trailing out behind you. Oh - and don’t expect to find a “cheap” trailer - decent used sailboat trailers sell at a premium. A new one for a 25’ 5500# boat fully rigged will probably cost around $8000, used maybe $4000...

AnthonyWPrangley

Thanks so much for all the feedback and especially the experience you all have. And the thoughtful help from Mblace & KS Dave! I am holding off on buying at the moment - back to exploring options... I am also looking at larger dinghy style boats - Flying Scot, Highlander, Capri 16.5... wondering if they might be easier to move around while still offering some of the joy of family day-sailing. I can learn the ropes and then upgrade to an Ericson or similar when I am more settled in Seattle. We are in the process of moving slowly from Johannesburg to Seattle and I have this big desire to rekindle my sailing - done mostly on 24 foot keel boats and mid-sized dinghies...

Cheers,
Ant

Mblace

Member II
There are a couple of newer water ballast sailboats in the 23’ - 25’ range that are a lot easier to handle on the road and ramp - and regularly sell for $6000 - $12000 Including trailer. I looked at these before deciding on the E-25, based on a personal bias against water ballast. But, they do make nice and capable daysailers and have much roomier cabins (Hunter 240 and 260). If we planned to stay aboard for a few nights I’d have gone that route, but for me (at 6’4”) sleeping on a small sailboat of any type is unappealing. Good luck!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since the OP lives in the NW, and would consider a smaller boat, I hope he considers the Ranger 20. We owned one for five years. Raced it one-design a lot, and spent a lot of nights cruising it, too. Fast and comfortable. Ray Richards design, and well built.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Anthony - have a nice 28+ 1985 with trailer FS - Northern Colorado... I splash and retrieve at the lake ramp..alone...
unless I can find someone to assist me...It tows fine on highway ( I pulled it from Beaufort NC to Boulder Co )
with a GMC Yukon ... "biggest little 28 footer - on the market" ++

Attachments

• carter lake tree shot.jpg
    carter lake tree shot.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150422_xx145433.jpg
    20150422_xx145433.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210328-171858_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-171858_Photos.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
garmin auto helm...touch screen nav...new Harkin self tailing winches...north sails...nice condition...ready to go +++