Air Conditioning on 32-200? Ideas sought...

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
After experiencing the sweltering temps in the Florida Panhandle last weekend, I vowed to install an AC unit.

I have looked at the Carry-on units and have seen them on CR from $400-$700 used. I know I will need a generator to power the AC at anchor and have been considering the Honda eu2000.

I imagine I would mount the AC in the salon hatch.

Having owned several motorhomes over the years I am considering a Coleman or other rooftop RV unit (if it would fit).

Thanks in advance for your input

Glyn Judson

Honda generator on deck.

How timely a topic, well about a Honda EU2000i at least. Sorry, can't speak to the use and selection of an air conditioning unit, not really necessary here in SoCal. I just bought that model Honda last week and have been tossing around ideas as to how best to get it up on the bow from wherever it gets stowed which will probably be down below up against forward the saloon bulkhead. Our concern is that on occasion, my wife Marilyn will need to get it from there up on deck and back down again on her own (it's a long story). To begin with, the unit weighs 57 pounds and absolute maximum measurements are 11" wide, 20 3/4" long and 17" high. I know because I just came in from the garage having taken those measurements no more than 30 minutes ago. Our problem is that the side deck adjacent to the cockpit coaming is only 10" at best, widening to a usable 12" a bit further forward. Greg Ross (E31 hull #63) and I have been exchanging emails on the topic and he helped me finally think up a method of sliding it part way on deck by temporarily slipping 1 3/4" Caplugs http://www.caplugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000020 over the four rubber feet until getting it in place next to the bowsprit. These Caplugs have the surface consistency of TupperWare and will greatly facilitate sliding the heavy Honda. Once there, it would be a simple matter of tilting the unit slightly and pulling them off one at a time. You might want to construct a cardboard box using my dead-plumb measurements and experiment with how to maneuver it from point A to point B. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Thanks Glyn.

There was a sailboat I saw that had the eu2000 mounted on the starboard side of the stern pulpit at an overnighter we did last Saturday. It looked like a stainless steel tube frame.

I wish I'd have rowed over and asked about it. They ran the thing all night and it was barely audible.

I know because it was so hot I couldn't sleep...LOL!

Also, after doing some research after starting this thread I found a guy that uses a Coleman Polar Cub (mounted to the roof of his cabin) powered by the 2000. Looks like it could be trick.

Glyn Judson

Where to locate your Honda.

I think I've only seen Honda type generators placed near the bow for one very important reason: that of insuring as well as possible, that exhaust gasses don't find their way to living spaces such as the cockpit or down below. I imagine that noise, what little there is that comes from these generators, is also a consideration and with them on the bow they are as far away as reasonable from being heard. Personally, I would have problems being at all comfortable with the generator on a bracket attached to the stern rail, given its close proximity to the cockpit and further below. A wind shift and gases might easily drop down below the rail and that would be my ever present concern with it mounted there. In the words of the famed and fabled sage, Loren Beach, my 2 cents worth which should be valued as such, Glyn

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Assuming the bow points into the wind, wouldn't having the generator on the stern make it more likely that the wind would dissipate the exhaust and fumes to leeward and astern of the boat?

HughHarv

Hugh
hoisting generator

"how best to get it up on the bow from wherever it gets stowed which will probably be down below"

Two cents worth, why not use a block and tackle belayed to a spinnaker pole on topping lift?

Glyn Judson

Status update: These Caplugs are the cat's meow.

Edd and all, Four Caplugs arrived in the mail today as engineering samples. They are P/N CFC-28, 1 3/4" plugs that easily slip onto the four rubber feet of our new Honda EU2000i but at the same time are simple to slip off, a nice friction fit I'd say. My immediate test track was our Corian kitchen countertop and if that's any indicator, they should perform onboard as I'd hoped. Without the caps, the rubber feet dug in and offered almost 100% resistance to my pushing but with them on, I'd guestimate the resistance was reduced to 20% and my hope is that it'll be even less on the nonskid. Glyn

sveinutne

Member III
We do not need AC in Norway where I am located, but electricity is nice to have, so I installed a 2KW generator next to the engine on the port side. It takes 1/3 of the free space I had down there, but I think it was worth it. The exhaust is going out on the port side, and I also installed a way to water cool the exhaust to get cooler exhaust going through the side of the boat. If interested I can take some pictures of it.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We do not need AC in Norway where I am located, but electricity is nice to have, so I installed a 2KW generator next to the engine on the port side. It takes 1/3 of the free space I had down there, but I think it was worth it. The exhaust is going out on the port side, and I also installed a way to water cool the exhaust to get cooler exhaust going through the side of the boat. If interested I can take some pictures of it.

That would be great to see your photos. I'm not sure I could mount a portable "air-cooled" Honda belowdecks.

sveinutne

Member III
Yes, I am using the generator to get heat and electricity, mainly for recharging of batteries when I have high power needs, but not like an AC unit. I am also interested to see the reaction when the boat will be inspected. I am not sure if they will allow the generator below deck. That is the reason for the troublesome exhaust handling and electric fan to suck out bad air form the engine room. But with 10 till 15 degrees Celsius outside the engine room will stay cool even after 1 hour run with the generator.

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
The generator is also some insurance if the engine will not start because it is too cold or flat battery. Then the generator will charge the batteries and worm up the engine room. I will disconnect and make some changes to the water injection, so in the pictures the hoses is not connected, and the clamps are removed.

Attachments

• June 2011-båt 001-s.JPG
    June 2011-båt 001-s.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 56
  • June 2011-båt 002-s.JPG
    June 2011-båt 002-s.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 52

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Anyone put an AC unit in a 32-200?

After the HOT summer here in Florida we are committed to solving the AC problem. I'm looking for anyone who has a Sea Air type unit.Where is it located?Where did you run the ductwork to get air in the aft cabin and vberth?Thanks!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The generator is also some insurance if the engine will not start because it is too cold or flat battery. Then the generator will charge the batteries and worm up the engine room. I will disconnect and make some changes to the water injection, so in the pictures the hoses is not connected, and the clamps are removed.

I'm not sure you could insure a boat with an installation like that here in the US. I'm not particularly safety nazi oriented but mounting a terrestrial generator belowdecks seems a bit extreme/unwise. I'm betting its also very loud. I've taken grief from simply storing my Honda Eu2000 genny belowdecks for the threat of gas fumes. I'd never consider running it down there even if I could figure out an exhaust option. You have a big brass pair, please be careful with that.

RT

eknebel

Member III
I agree with Rob, even storing left over gasoline in the tank below is fraught with issues, needing vapor proof enclosed and vented lockers. With my Honda Eu2000i on the stern seat, you can barely hear it. If the music is on at a comfortable level, that is easily conversed over, you can't hear it at all. If you are using a generator, a Carbon Monoxide alarm is mandatory, IMHO. In all but the most unusual currents, an anchored boat has airflow going from bow to stern.

Another option is to float it out on the dinghy while running with a just long enough heavy duty extension cord. W.T.Y.C. living(White Trash Yacht Club)!:cheers:

Storage on stern/side deck with a removable cover is what I see most on snowbirds that go up and down the East coast. As painful as it is, I don't think 7K btu is going to give you relief in the Florida sun. You will cool down when the sun goes down, but during the day, you will need more, about 10k btu, at least, which is the upper edge of not using technology such as Smart Start to reduce surge amperage at compressor start-up for the eu2000. The ac manufacturers have calculators, based on boat volume and location. Be Cool!

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I agree with Rob, even storing left over gasoline in the tank below is fraught with issues, needing vapor proof enclosed and vented lockers. With my Honda Eu2000i on the stern seat, you can barely hear it. If the music is on at a comfortable level, that is easily conversed over, you can't hear it at all. If you are using a generator, a Carbon Monoxide alarm is mandatory, IMHO. In all but the most unusual currents, an anchored boat has airflow going from bow to stern.

Another option is to float it out on the dinghy while running with a just long enough heavy duty extension cord. W.T.Y.C. living(White Trash Yacht Club)!:cheers:

Storage on stern/side deck with a removable cover is what I see most on snowbirds that go up and down the East coast. As painful as it is, I don't think 7K btu is going to give you relief in the Florida sun. You will cool down when the sun goes down, but during the day, you will need more, about 10k btu, at least, which is the upper edge of not using technology such as Smart Start to reduce surge amperage at compressor start-up for the eu2000. The ac manufacturers have calculators, based on boat volume and location. Be Cool!

Thanks!

I have narrowed it down to either the Flagship 16.5 BTU http://www.flagshipmarine.com/selfcontained.html or the MarineAir http://www.marinaire.com/category_s/32.htm

I thnk we will place it in the port setee if we can. Then we can vent it under the sink to blow in the aft cabin and put vents in the salon and v berth.

drcam1

Member II
Skabeeb,

I would be curious to see how this goes for you. I bought a used portable AC unit (similar to one currently available by WestMarine) and placed it over larger hatch just forward of mast. Main benefit was removing humidity, and also cooled to more comfortable level. Only a 5000 btu unit and really did make a difference.

Isn't the port settee totally filled up with a fresh water tank? I agree that the ducting from that area does make the most sense if it fits.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Skabeeb,

I would be curious to see how this goes for you. I bought a used portable AC unit (similar to one currently available by WestMarine) and placed it over larger hatch just forward of mast. Main benefit was removing humidity, and also cooled to more comfortable level. Only a 5000 btu unit and really did make a difference.

Isn't the port settee totally filled up with a fresh water tank? I agree that the ducting from that area does make the most sense if it fits.

Cameron,

Thanks for the reply.

We have had an LG 9000 BTU stand alone unit that we vent out a port. It can take a little of the edge off but not enough to sleep comfortably here in Florida. Also, the design of the condensation pan requires that we manully open the plug and drain it out. I tried using a hose going to the bilge....

I think I would be willing to sacrifice the forward water tank for AC. Another place we're considering would be placing the unit in the aft starboard lazerette where the refridge unit is located. Heck, there might be enough room for both units down there.

We could vent the air directly to the aft cabin. Getting it forward from there would mean running ductwork through the head and behind the control panel at the nav table.

As far as that main hatch is concerned, I had already picked a low profile RV unit that would have dropped right in, was only $700 and would have no problem with the Honda EU2000 and the compressor starting. The Admiral said it would ruin the look of the boat....

chitown

http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=2275. They make more powerful units as well ...

was looking at this for my e28 after a sweltering summer here in Chicago. Where to put it remains the question but i agree that a built in is a nice addition and running it with a honda or Yamaha 2000 is a good solution when on the hook plus you get the added benefit of having all your shore power options available.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=2275. They make more powerful units as well ... was looking at this for my e28 after a sweltering summer here in Chicago. Where to put it remains the question but i agree that a built in is a nice addition and running it with a honda or Yamaha 2000 is a good solution when on the hook plus you get the added benefit of having all your shore power options available.
Nice unit. Check out the MarineAir..better pricing than the Mermaids.

scourge

Member II
Air Conditioning on 32-200? Ideas sought

We had a brutally hot and humid summer here in the Great Lakes. After spending a week out over 4th of July, with no wind
and hotter than blazes we, the Admiral and I, decided to go with one of the 'portable' A/C units, which for a home, you can roll from room to room. they have about a 3 - 4 inch exhaust tube that needs a place to exhaust to. I was thinking about building a new bottom hatch board on my 32, with a port in place to hook the exhaust hose to. I would place it just at the
port side of the companionway stairs, by the port side quarter-berth. this way it isn't on the top of the boat. I have a Honda eu2000 and would place it on the bow with foam or rubber underneath to help deaden the vibration on the deck and to keep it from sliding. The interior of the boat isn't that big and I think it would cool well enough to at least make it bearable.