Alpha 3000 autopilot

Wolfemusic

Bettina
Hello folks, my e32 came with an Alpha systems 3000 autopilot. Haven't been able to get it to work but I think I might be missing a simple step. Anyone familiar with this system and can guide me thru its operation? I power up the unit turn the heading dial to my current heading and go up to the helm and pull the cable. The cable does not stay up, Im not sure if it is supposed to or not but it feels like it pulls about 3/4 of the way up and and then drops back down. I wiggle the wheel back and forth to try to get it to engage but it does not. Any thoughts? much appreciated. thanks
attachment.php

Attachments

• 3000_Control_Unit.gif
    3000_Control_Unit.gif
    100.5 KB · Views: 388

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
You are doing it right but the cable should stay up. Lets assume you are doing this in the slip without the engine off so its quiet. It sounds like your control head is below. Turn on the power to the unit, turn the heading knob, you should be able to hear the ram motor moving the ram. If you don't then its not working for some reason. No electric power maybe. If you do here it then do as you have been and go the the helm, while holding the cable pulled out turn the wheel all the way one way then the other it should engage. If not the is a problem with the morse cable or the arm thats connected to the rudder post. These are pretty bullet proof auto pilots.
Hers a link to his page http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/service.htm

Good luck

Wolfemusic

Bettina
You are doing it right but the cable should stay up. Lets assume you are doing this in the slip without the engine off so its quiet. It sounds like your control head is below. Turn on the power to the unit, turn the heading knob, you should be able to hear the ram motor moving the ram. If you don't then its not working for some reason. No electric power maybe. If you do here it then do as you have been and go the the helm, while holding the cable pulled out turn the wheel all the way one way then the other it should engage. If not the is a problem with the morse cable or the arm thats connected to the rudder post. These are pretty bullet proof auto pilots.
Hers a link to his page http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/service.htm

Good luck

Thanks Phil, I will try it out in the slip to see if I can hear it moving. I've been meaning to get over to your harbor to meet you and check out your ericson. Im just over in westpoint. Im gonna go out on the beer can wednesday with some guys I met thru work on their j30. thanks -jason

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Drop by anytime Jason C-25 Now that I think about it you have to be pulling the cable UNTILL it engages thats probably your problem. Ill be at my boat this afternoon and early tomorrow morning and most every day for the next 10 weeks. Then I'm gone for good. We're having a big dock party on the 27th around 16:00 hours come over for that.

Wolfemusic

Bettina
Fixed

Phil you're the man. Everything is up and working now, just had to rotate the wheel fully while holding the handle to engage. On my way from sf with it handling duties. Thx