Alrternator

Navman

Member III
I know alternators have been covered as I have read most of the blogs. My question is this, I have 440 amp hrs using 4, 110 aph AGM’s. I need to replace my old alternator. I never felt that the alternator was able to fully charge the battery bank after I installed them. Does anyone know what the original alternator make was as there are NO identifying marks or labels. What manufacturer do you all recommend keeping budget in mind? What is the recommended alternator output to efficiently charge my batteries? What system upgrades would be absolutely necessary? Is there any way my recently installed Sterling Pro Battery charger can be of use in regulating the flow? I am a neophyte where it comes to electrical and if it only Main Sails detailed instructions for the charger installation which enabled me to to it properly. Thanks in advance for your collective patience and answers.
Don Moran AKA, Navman
1986 E-38
The Optimist II

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, my '88 boat with a Universal M25XP always had a Motorola alternator, albeit a 50 amp version. I was told by a local alternator shop that they could reconfigure it for external regulation any time. My choice, and I left it "stock."
For a litany of reasons (none related to charging) I changed the whole drive train over to a new Betamarine25, in 2018, with a 70 amp alternator. I am still using prehistoric wet batteries, so have zero info about the how-to for all of the other changes needed for supporting modern battery chemistries. I do believe that you are right to approach this as a "systems" upgrade.
Please do keep us informed, maybe providing some blog pix and on going narrative.
Good luck!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ (SOLD)
This is a good read to figure out requirements. General rule is if you go bigger than a 90-100A unit you will also have to change your belt and pulleys. Always a trade off of some degree unless budget is no concern.