Alternator bracket

Chris Mc.

Member III
I’ve read with interest the past forums concerning replacing the stock overhead alternator bracket with a lower bracket on the Universal engines. Concerning my engine, from what I can muster, it is different than what I see previously discussed. Is my assertion correct? From my perspective it appears to be a good solid mount.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FA374993-EA2A-43A7-9BFE-01EF89805416.jpeg
    FA374993-EA2A-43A7-9BFE-01EF89805416.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 27
  • E855187D-4897-490A-9D31-75E8C19A24CB.jpeg
    E855187D-4897-490A-9D31-75E8C19A24CB.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 27

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have never heard of that bracket design problem on any other brand of engine besides the mid-80's Universal.

Chris Mc.

Member III
What engine is that? You can analyze the bracket attachment and see if it seems worrisome.

The issue with the original Universal bracket, which could damage the engine, is described by Maine Sail:

The engine is the M25xpb. To me, the bracket doesn’t seem worrisome. But being new to this engine, I just wanted to double check with the experienced Council here.
Thanks again.

Second Star

Member III
My M18 engine required the "new" mounting. The alternator pivots from the top, unlike the picture above for the M25 which results in the adjusting arm being under the alternator rather than over the top. It is at mechanical disadvantage in this position, the arm eventually hits the alternator before sufficient tightening can be achieved and the supplied long bolt for the pivot is too small a diameter for a "non wobble" fit. Has anyone had luck getting the M18 replacement hardware to work nicely?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The supplied bolt was often wrong--whether metric or imperial--and the fit was loose. A new bolt is the popular solution.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes the Catalina Direct bracket kit doesn’t give you enough room on the adjustment arm to properly tighten the belt. Mine is barely adequate on the M18. Anyone found a good solution?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I think I had to drop down one belt length when I put on the new bracket. With the old size belt, the curved adjustment arm scaped against the alternator fan.

woolamaloo

Member III
My M18 engine required the "new" mounting. The alternator pivots from the top, unlike the picture above for the M25 which results in the adjusting arm being under the alternator rather than over the top. It is at mechanical disadvantage in this position, the arm eventually hits the alternator before sufficient tightening can be achieved and the supplied long bolt for the pivot is too small a diameter for a "non wobble" fit. Has anyone had luck getting the M18 replacement hardware to work nicely?
I had read that although the alternator bracket design of the M18 was the same as the M25, that there were no known instances of the same type of failure on the M18. I still had the change made. I want to be able to sleep at night. I went the checkbook route but I believe that my mechanic said that he had to replace the bolt you're referring to. But the replacement has been working great for four years now. Another modification is that I needed a shorter belt.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My personal mental "way back machine" is often hazy about exact dates, but I recall that a few years after buying our boat, I got to inspecting the (stock) Moto alternator and found that I could rock it a bit on its pivot bolt. Seemed odd.

At the time I cut out a shim from a piece of *aluminum, wrapped it around the bolt and put it back together. Tighter fit, very good.
Later I found a slightly different dia. bolt; and confirmed that the PO had changed it out to (hazy memory: metric vs SAE) the wrong standard sizing. I did source the proper diameter and it fit OK.

*I did not use a beer can as mentioned in Pirsig's book, but did consider it! :)

Second Star

Member III
I did change belts from the original to that supplied in the conversion kit to one half inch smaller as well (Gates 7385). The smallest belt was as far as I could go before putting the belt on required dismounting the alternator to get the belt over the 3 pullies. I have a thought to try to rotate the bracket 180 degrees to mirror the install pictured at the top of this discussion and see if it performs. Anyone tried that?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
How did you remove the 4 studs (#10) in the exhaust manifold...there is not enough threads exposed to double nut, back out to remove?

Second Star

Member III
The first two I was really lucky to get out with vice grips. The remaining I had to grind two nuts to about 1/2 thickness so I could get two nuts to lock on the stud