aluminum

jkm

Member III
I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

I've come into possession of a one year old 9.8 hp four stroke outboard. My neighbor tossed it out because he punctured a bolt size hole into the shaft where the oil settles.

I could get it brazed (I think that's what you do to repair aluminum), but i'm wondering if some compound would seal the hole.

I thought of a JB weld like product with mesh??

I thought some of you might have a clever suggestion. This thing new is about $ 1,700.00. I just couldn't see it going to the landfill without a stab at fixing it.

John

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Which shaft? If you are talking about the lower unit, you should be able to buy a new or used casing. Find a local guy who does OB repair and I bet he has one of these.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I've seen plenty of skegs welded back on to the bottom of OB legs after the owners have knocked them off. Seems an easy repair for anyone that can weld aluminum. Nice score! RT

jkm

Member III
Thanks guys.

I figured my steel guy could fix it up. He's done plenty of aluminum.

It's only a bolt size hole.

These new four stokes are beautifully built. I tore into it thinking the pistons had seized and was quite impressed with the motor and it's simplicity. I have a 2hp for my inflatable-wait till the guys see me with a 9.8!!!!!

Thanks again for you suggestions

John