AM/FM Antenna Recommendations

Jarod

Member III
Hello All,

I am in the process of installing a new stereo system in my 27. The previous stereo antenna was plugged into a shakespeare splitter that utilized the vhf antenna. The splitter is still there but the reception for the old stereo was really pretty bad. I am wondering what everyone else is using for their systems? Would I be better off going with a dedicated antenna and if so any recomendations? I would like to keep it out of sight if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:

TRMN8R

Member II
Mine is just tucked behind the compartment where the AM/FM is. It would be best to run a dedicated antenna (although FM freq's are located between Ch 6&7 on the VHF band). Really depends upon how close you are to the stations you want to listen to. Since FM is line of sight, naturally the higher the antenna the better the reception although you always have the option of switching from ST to MO (stereo to mono) when the signal degrades. If you're cruising local waters and/or coastal areas moving from station site to station site, you shouldn't have any issues. Hope this helps!

dwigle

Member III
FWIW, I went to the trouble of installing a marine AM-FM antenna on my radar mast hoping for better reception. It really isn't noticeably better than my old method of tucking a cheap automotive antenna under the headliner.
I had a splitter on my old boat, and had better luck with the automotive antenna.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
When I fitted a VHF antenna to the masthead, rather than fit a splitter, I put a second antenna on the stern rail for the VHF. My reasoning was that way if I lost the rig, I would have to swap one cable to use the radio; and a splitter be a potential nuisance.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

sleather

Sustaining Member
I've used dedicated automotive antennas in a nuber of applications w/ good results. There's a bunch of different styles depending on where you want to mount it. I've found that high inside the cabin is adequate.

Shadowfax

Member III
FWIW, We have a TV on board and what I did after experimenting with any number of temporary TV antennas that where clumsy or didn't work, was finally break down and install a mast head TV / FM antenna, which also has an amplifier in it. It works well as the TV band overlaps FM band. TV works excellent as does the FM and does not interfere with the VHF in any way. A very clean solution to the problem. Cost approx. $100 and a trip up the mast. I highly recommend this solution especially if a TV is involved.

Glyn Judson

Where to locate a radio antenna.

Jarod, Mine is a conventional automotive antenna that lies horizontally in the starboard quarter. In my case, it lies above the 38 gallon fuel tank and below the PFD's and other miscellaneous stuff in there. It's way outboard so never gets in the way and I almost never even see it in there. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

SurabyaKid

Member III
I too recently installed a stereo in Pronto. I did the same as Bob & Glyn in that I used an automotive one that I tucked up into the headliner. I bought a full length wire one from Autozone and removed the base leaving just the cable & the antenna. There is no outward indication that the antenna is in the headliner.

Pat