• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Am I the only one [active in northeastern USA]?

wynkoop

Member III
Am I the only one active on here in the north east?

About 29 or 30 years there was a north east "Ericson Regatta" held at Shelter Island NY (between the forks of long island).

Perhaps those of us in the North East should consider doing something similar. Probably Shelter Island, New London, or someplace in Rhode Island would be good spots as they allow not too long of a travel time for folks from either side of those points.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynkoop

Member III
Gabriel-

I am actually not a member of facebook. I will not bore everyone with why it is a bad idea to sign up with them, agree to their terms of service, and let them in effect own your computer and online presence.

I will say if folks use the right search terms in google they will wonder why any person of reasonable intelligence ever joined facebook.

Cbuydos

Member I
Hi Brett,

Could not agree with you more. I’m in marketing and know the inner workings. Anyway, back to your question.

I’m new to the group and think an event up here in the North East would be great. Speaking as someone who has organized them in the past, they are a blast, but a pain in the ass to organize. With that being said, I recommend an event that is already well organized and centrally located in our area known as Off Soundings.

www.OffSoundings.org

The event has been around since 1949 and is the last of the PHRF racing around the buoy formats that actually works. Each series has over 100 boats entered, allowing all of the entered boats to race in a class of similar PHRF ratings and boat types. That is very hard to find anymore.

There are 2 series. The first is the Spring series in early June. We race from Watch Hill (right off the beach from the Ocean House) over to Block Island. The second day we race around Block Island. The Boat Basin is home base both days. The second series is the fall series in September. We race from New London, over to Greenport the first day. The second day we race in Gardner’s Bay. Home base is Greenport each day. After each race there is a party and awards party after he second day. There are both racing and non spinnaker classes.

I encourage everyone to check out the website and to give the event a shot. With that all being said, this is an event for seasoned sailors and those who know their boats well. Safety is taken seriously. This is not an event for first time sailors. By no means do you have to be an avid racer, but you do need to have an understanding of the rules and how to participate in a race safely. Navigation is key to this event as well. I will be happy to answer any questions about the event.

Quick promo video from last year. Note all the different types of boats that race. We have classic Woden boats, tri’s, nonsuches, Old IOR and new generation boats. There is a class for everyone.

History of Off Soundings: long video, but will answer all of your questions.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author

About 29 or 30 years there was a north east "Ericson Regatta" held at Shelter Island NY (between the forks of long island).

Perhaps those of us in the North East should consider doing something similar. Probably Shelter Island, New London, or someplace in Rhode Island would be good spots as they allow not too long of a travel time for folks from either side of those points.

My boat lives at Groton, CT so all of the above locations work well for me! I'm actually keen to get back to Coecles Harbor at Shelter Island, NY this summer. Loved it last time we were there. Coecles Harbor

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I am actually not a member of facebook. I will not bore everyone with why it is a bad idea to sign up with them, agree to their terms of service, and let them in effect own your computer and online presence.

I will say if folks use the right search terms in google they will wonder why any person of reasonable intelligence ever joined facebook.
3AAE6C57-E437-4989-A518-43800436E705.gif

Last edited:

wynkoop

Member III
Sounds like a fun time. If I feel Silver Maiden is in shape for such a voyage, which depends on my completing several projects, I think I will head out. It is a 2 day sail for me from Brooklyn. Last time I made that trip I anchored overnight in New Haven and the next afternoon found me sailing into plumb gut.

I raced in school. Started in Interclubs and 420s as a freshman. In junior/senior years I moved to being crew chief of a 1/4 ton MORC boat called Bonnie. Some fellow donated a pair of them called Bonnie and Clyde to the academy. I have never raced my own boat because in school I broke gear. I went fast, but I broke gear. When Uncle Sam was paying if something went wrong it was much different than if I have to shell out for broken gear.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Gabriel-

Don't mean to deviate on the subject - but would like to add this:

I am on Facebook - but concur with this. Everything I've loaded onto my page there can be disposed of. This site - or rather, the archive of information from this site - is not going anywhere - and is not going to be sold/rented/borrowed/leveraged/given or loaned to anyone else - for any reason (save an order from a judge).

When you post to Facebook they own it. When you post to EY.o, I own it. Facebook openly admits that they are a profit-driven organization; while EY.o is more or less a small, private clubhouse filled with (mostly) older guys who are tired of BS.

Facebook has already admitted to selling out their members information for profit. EY.o has a twenty year history of dealing with PSC, hackers, jihadists, spammers and the Russians (yes, they get their own class) to defend our space. That should be evidence enough of my intentions.

//sse

tenders

Innocent Bystander
No, you are not alone in the Northeast, there are many Ericson owners around these parts, and I’m in WLIS.

Agree that Facebook — and Reddit, for that matter — are terrible venues for this kind of deep, specialized knowledge that is particularly useful in a searchable format. I refuse to spend time reading or posting anything of value on them for boating, Atomic Fours, or my other hobbies/sicknesses.

Last edited:

debonAir

Member III
There's the Maine Ericson Owners Association (MEOA) that meets twice a year. Once indoors at the end of Winter, and once in Boothbay harbor for a clam bake mid Summer. We're a bit more North East than you but it is a great group of people. My boat is currently in RI and I'm hoping to stop in to Block Island on the trip back to Maine in June.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I’d have to drop the mast to get to you from Lake Champlain, but keep me in the loop. A boy can dream.

David Grimm

E38-200
I'm in Poughkeepsi NY. Takes a day or two for me to get down the Hudson to the LIS. Keep me posted. I'll try and meet up.

wynkoop

Member III
Filkee-

Do you have the mast rigged to do yourself? I saw a document in the E27 section for a self stepping rig and I am contemplating it for Silver Maiden.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Filkee-

Do you have the mast rigged to do yourself? I saw a document in the E27 section for a self stepping rig and I am contemplating it for Silver Maiden.

No, I would need a crane for a 32-3 unless there is some miraculous trick that I’m unfamiliar with.

Fanfan

No, there are other Ericsons around. Mine is based in New London, though currently on the hard with an engine replacement about to begin. Cheers, Krum

Thaddeus

Member II

Glad to hear all the replies. Having spent 2.5 great seasons in Noank, exploring the many harbors of NY, CT, RI ,we are back in Buzzards Bay (Padanaram). I'll keep an eye out to see if we can rendezvous with a few of you. Cheers.