Anchor and rode E34-2

Phr3d

Member II
About 25’ of chain (size?) and 200’ of 3/4” (?) nylon. It’s larger than my 5/8” docklines.

Question- What are some options for marking it for depth/scope?

Other question - does the rust give it character or present a case to replace it?

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpeg
    IMG_5516.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 8

peaman

Sustaining Member
I have a 200' 3/4" 3-strand nylon rode for my 32' boat in case of hurricane. But the one rigged for regular use is 1/2" 3-strand nylon, 180'.

For $5 you can get a set of anchor rode markers in 30 foot increments.

A rusty chain (or anything else) is gross. Best practice is to replace it. You might be able to find some place to re-galvanize it, but maybe not just 25 feet. For bottom cost, and little use, cold galvanizing spray paint will at least minimize the rust streaking for a while.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For comparison, my anchor setup. Lighter displacement boat, so a bit smaller tackle dimension.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
As Christian notes, I have been using the same chain for about 20 years of active cruising. Does it show some rust? Yep. I just spray a bit of cold galvanizing on it annually. I do look carefully at the links near the anchor to see if there is any appreciable wear and I am actually thinking that it might be time to chop off a chunk of the 200' I carry on my Tartan 37 (I carried a lot of chain when I was in my international cruising time). Cruisers seem to turn their chain end for end to preserve the life of the links closest to the anchor gear. I am told that re-galvanizing chain reduces its strength by some 10% or more and it is getting harder for find folks who do galvanizing because of the environmental laws. I once had an anchor re galvanized and it came back from the service in a distorted shape--so I became somewhat skeptical of what the process does to metal that I cannot see. FWIW.