Anchor Light

Chschaus

"Voila"
At the end of last season our anchor light on the mast head stopped working. We hauled out for the winter but didn't pull the mast. So yesterday we went aloft to replace the old light and discovered the connection had separated and the wires are now lost in the mast. The Kenyon spar has a wire channel behind the track that makes it almost impossible to snake a new wire with the mast stepped ( the wire for the light leaves the channel through a hole just above the sheaves) . Any suggestions? at this point I am thinking I will just raise a lantern with the extra jib halyard whenever I need the anchor light and rewire when we pull in the fall.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is there is any requirement for an anchor light at the masthead? I don't think so.

A 360 degree light hung anywhere works better anyhow to keep people from running into you in the dark.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
In Michigan a "masthead light must be higher than the navigation lights " is the definition, so pretty liberal parameters on placement.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Although my mast anchor light works I sometimes plug in a dawn to dusk anchor utility light that plugs into the 12 volt outlet. I raise it with the main halyard up to a point about two feet above the boom with another line attached to the halyard that runs down to the deck that I’ll tie onto whatever is convenient. Why do I do this? When I gunk hole in a small anchorage, of which there are many on the Chesapeake Bay, I want boats that approach at short distance to see that light. The mast head anchor light is way up at the top of the mast and so boaters at a short distance from me may not be looking up to see it. At least that’s my reasoning.
IMG_0274.jpeg

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
In Michigan a "masthead light must be higher than the navigation lights " is the definition, so pretty liberal parameters on placement.
I believe this refers to what is often called a steaming light, not an anchor light. Those with better understanding of nav rules may chime in to differ. Steaming light must be higher than running lights so it doesnt create confusion in determining direction of travel.

I think it’s wise to hang a lantern or other 360 light down low especially when there are lots of light ashore. It’s very easy to confuse mast top anchor lights for lights ashore until your almost on top of the boat showing them.

u079721

Contributing Partner
A light down low is MUCH easier for folks to see when motoring or rowing around a typical small-boat anchorage. If you look closely in this photo you will see my Davis LED anchor light hung forward (the same one Bolo showed). I installed a 12V outlet in the anchor locker pan just to power the light. My masthead anchor light did work, but I never used it.210.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Steve, is there a thread where you describe that riding sail?

Looks like it has a boom and battens, and halyard--unless perhaps a photo illusion.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Steve, is there a thread where you describe that riding sail?

Looks like it has a boom and battens, and halyard--unless perhaps a photo illusion.

I don't think I ever described it on this board, but here is a link to an article in Good Old Boat that I wrote on using anchor sails, including this particular design with a center boom (no battens). As I mention in the article, this design is amazingly effective at keeping the boat bow to wind, and it's surprising that you don't see more anchor sails in use.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 132113.jpg

Last edited: