Anyone using Biodiesel?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I use less than a full tank of fuel per year and I was thinking about filling up in the spring with BD. I know it costs more and I have to drive about 60 miles to get it but it is supposed to have many benefits over conventional diesel. Smells better, less chance of cancer, better lubricity, much better for the environment in both production and combustion. What are your thoughts on this?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Cancer

...less chance of cancer...
I didn't realize that I was in danger of getting cancer by sailing an Ericson. Please explain this. :confused:

Neither of us live in California where everything is known to cause cancer. :)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You are fine sailing but motoring is a different story. Here is a link to the CDC and what they have to say about it.

http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0600/d000609/d000609.html

I would imagine that ones exposure to diesel fumes may be greater on a boat than most autos unless you sit in traffic for long periods but even then, exhaust from other diesels gets diluted by the time it enters your car. I have noticed many times while in a calm or following breeze I tend to get a lot of fumes.:rolleyes_d:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'll take the risk

Over the long term (20 years or so), exposure to diesel fumes may increase the risk of lung cancer and possibly bladder cancer. There is additional evidence that the fine particles in DPM can aggravate heart problems and respiratory illnesses such as asthma.

The article is referring to construction workers around diesel equipment eight hours a day five days a week. Reducing the particular emissions 31% won't make much difference.
http://www.biodiesel.com/why_biodiesel.htm

I'm taking Xanthus off the market again. :devil:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
less is more

Y... I have noticed many times while in a calm or following breeze I tend to get a lot of fumes.:rolleyes_d:

I've found that when motoring downwind I often adjust the heading to reduce any odors that are noticed by anyone aboard. That definitely helps preserve the good mood for the voyage.

The previous owners of one of our boats experienced much strife in their marriage from motoring fumes that made the wife sick. Perhaps if they used biodiesel made from her favorite restaurant they might not have gotten divorced and sold the boat to us ;) .

Tim, thanks for the CDC link. That was fascinating.

Last edited:

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Wait did I read that right...

Did you say you would drive 60 miles out of the way to buy biodiesel??? Thats really funny to me. How about remove the deisel and put in an Atomic 4. Clean burning, no smoke, runs well and real quiet. Im kidding of course. But driving 120 miles round trip to save the enviorment for 10 gallons of biodeisel is funny in my eyes.

Then again I am from Oklahoma and it doessnt take much to make me laugh.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Biodiesel is good stuff. I have run it in my diesel vehicles. Slight reduction in power, much less smoke, high lubricity, slightly better mpg's and less diesel clatter. The problems with biodiesel is it has aggressive solvent properties. It will clean all the accumulated junk out of your tank, lines, etc. and deposit it in your filter. Prepare with spare elements.

The other issue is biodiesel will attack most rubber compounds except for Viton. This means that it will literally eat seals, hoses, etc. that are not biodiesel compatible. It can eat injection pump seals too. Used 100% strength this can happen quickly. Used 20% it has all the benefits but much slower degradation of incompatible stuff. I have run B20 (20% blend) in all my vehicles most of the time for about a year now with no issues so far.

Lastly I have read that biodiesel is more prone to bacteria growth which makes it a poor choice for boats where the fuel sits for long periods, often with water present.

Honestly I prefer ULSD as it has the same benefits less the rubber eating and lubricity. Biodiesel is more expensive than ULSD right now but if it were cheaper and more available I would likely use it more.

RT

missalot

Member II
Tim,

For what it's worth, I have been running B100 (B99 now) for over two years. I have an older Universal 3 cyl. I have not had any problems. My fuel supply and return are the red striped USCG approved hoses. My filter is a Racor 2 micron. I only burn about 15-30 gallons a year so it sits in the tank for long periods - have not experienced any algae problems yet.

60 miles - no problem, when I started using B100 the nearest place for me was 90 miles away! Now, availablility is getting better and is only 30 miles away. For me the smell benefits alone are worth it. Not only does the exhaust smell great, but the raw fuel does not smell bad at all and the very slight "engine smell" in the boat is GONE.

My only advice - check/watch your fuel lines, seals and filters. Carry a couple extra fuel filters, if you have crude in your tank, as said earlier, bio-diesel will release it - be prepared to change filters.

Goodluck,
Kyle

Glyn Judson

Biodiesel

All, I too use 20-25% biodiesel to fuel our Yanmar 3GMF and have done so for the last 12 years. The fuel dock we use recently changed hands and did away with biodiesel but a nearby land-based station started carrying it for about what diesel or gas costs. I'm told the new stuff is walnut oil. In all the years of using it, I've had no porblems with rubber degredataion, crud in the filters, etc, it just works. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I will be removing/inspecting my tank this fall so I thought it would be a good time to change over. That 60 miles really isn't a problem considering my employer will pay my milleage. I have a few clients near the filling station. I plan on buying it 12 gallons at a time and putting it into my tank. I should be able to make enough trips this winter to fill the tank.

One of the problems that came with my boat when I bought it this year is a ruined cabin sole from a leaky diesel tank. The leak had been repaired but the PO never replaced the sole. So the boat has a distinct diesel odor upon entering. I really cannot complain because I got such a great deal on this boat. The PO just wanted to pay off his boat loan quick so he could obtain financing for his kids going to college.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
It is good to hear that others are using biodiesel without issue in sailboats! I will be trying B20 blend when I fill up in the spring. RT