• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Are galvanic isolators worth installing?

Pat C.

Member III
They are for 2 different things. Galvanic isolators stop stray DC current leakage thru the green wire. They stop galvanic current which is anything below 1.2 volts. ELCI is to protect against an AC ground fault leaking into the water if the current load doesn't trip a standard breaker.

I don't have one currently, but probably should consider it. They are a good idea. Shouldn't be too hard to install.

Parrothead

Member III
Not where I was headed Pat. What I am about to say is controversial and gets tons of blowback from the usual internet experts but here it is anyway:
With an ELCI installed and tested according to the manufacturer's recommendations, the archaic, ABYC required, stray current attracting AC-DC ground bond is worse than U-S-E-L-E-S-S. Without the AC-DC ground bond there is no possibility of stray current from neighboring boats (see my earlier post about testing with the shore power cord disconnected) and no need for another piece of equipment (galvanic isolator) to protect against the damage the required bond created in the first place.

Pat C.

Member III
That does make sense on first thought. Getting rid of the AC/DC bond solves the problem. Unless you have an inverter onboard it may be a way to go.

Parrothead

Member III
I'm not an inverter guy but why can't an inverter's output have ground fault protection too? If I had one on my boat it would.