Are winch pads really necessary?

Jonathan G.

Member I
I pulled off the dilapidated teak coamings upon which the Genoa winches are mounted, thinking I would replace them. But now I am considering potting the holes and either applying gel coat or paint.

View attachment 43137

My question is, “Do I really need a substrate such as the teak combings or a winch pad to mount the winches on?”
To answer your original question: I've seen three E25's in person, and looked at a lot of photos while I was looking to purchase one, and I have seen no others with teak on the cockpit coamings. I suspect that it was an addition by a previous owner. (That winch is not original equipment, either.) The leads to the winch are plenty fair without any sort of pad.

peaman

Sustaining Member
You‘ll get a lot of advice on finishing old teak here in this thread and in many others on this site.
I have read with interest a few posts you have written expounding the virtues of Cetol, including photographic evidence. To the point that I am sold on it for the more difficult exterior teak. I spoke today with a couple of guys who know a thing or two about Cetol. In the photo attached to your post in this thread, is that finished only with a single variety of Cetol, or was it over-coated with the Cetol gloss? It looks great, and I would be happy to have that finish on my exterior teak, without the higher demands of varnish.

Also, there has been much discussion of "color" or tint of various Cetol flavors, so I gotta ask. You say you used "Cetol Marine", which is one of the four varieties, but it could also be shorthand for each of the other three:
Cetol Marine Light
Cetol Marine Natural Teak
Cetol Marine Gloss

Based on my research, I will likely use Cetol Marine Natural Teak (only), with no overcoat of Cetol Marine Gloss, but I am interested to know what you have used for your fine result.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have read with interest a few posts you have written expounding the virtues of Cetol, including photographic evidence. To the point that I am sold on it for the more difficult exterior teak. I spoke today with a couple of guys who know a thing or two about Cetol. In the photo attached to your post in this thread, is that finished only with a single variety of Cetol, or was it over-coated with the Cetol gloss? It looks great, and I would be happy to have that finish on my exterior teak, without the higher demands of varnish.

Also, there has been much discussion of "color" or tint of various Cetol flavors, so I gotta ask. You say you used "Cetol Marine", which is one of the four varieties, but it could also be shorthand for each of the other three:
Cetol Marine Light
Cetol Marine Natural Teak
Cetol Marine Gloss

Based on my research, I will likely use Cetol Marine Natural Teak (only), with no overcoat of Cetol Marine Gloss, but I am interested to know what you have used for your fine result.
I used ”Cetol Marine”….period. Yellow label. 3 coats with NO gloss overcoat. In the specs for “Cetol Marine” it states, “Microporous finish with UV protection that doesn’t crack or flake”, which is primary why I originally started using it on the taffrail because moisture was getting under the teak and forcing regular varnish off in blisters and flakes. After using “Cetol Marine” I’ve had no problems in that area and have since used it for all exterior teak. Your list doesn’t show “Cetol Marine“ but here is the link for it: https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/varnish/cetol-marine