• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Attaching Harken mastbase block

Jarod

Member III
Can someone tell me the best procedure for installing a harken mastbase block to my E27. I am routing the main halyard to the cockpit and require the block to complete the project. The part number is 1986 and can be found on the link to West Marine site below. I assume the proper procedure is to cut some threads for stainless machine screws or should i just use a coarse thread stainless screw? What about the issue with dissimilar metals can i coat the stainless screws in something to avoid corrosion(lanacote)? Also, should i mount the block to the mast itself or to the mast step or maybe on the deck itself beside the step. Sorry for all of the questions...if on the deck itself i would through bolt with a backing plate. I am a bit nervous about drilling into the plywood sandwich of the mast step.

Thanks

Jarod

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...L=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=329&classNum=495

Last edited:

SASSY

Member II
Mast block

Is your mast deck steped, or keel steped. If you are deck steped Garhauer sells a stainles steel mast plate the fits under the mast at the step $35.00. This would give you a place to mount the block.
If you consider mouning the block to the deck be sure to over drill the hole and fill it with epoxy first. Then re-drill the apropriate size hole through the epxy, this will stop water from leaching into the core. You will require a backing plate in this case however I don't know if the cabin top itself will handle the stress under extreme loads. I don't think screws no mater what the thread will be enough to bear the load.

Jarod

Member III
The mast is deck stepped. I have seen the plates from Garhauer but I would have to lift the mast to put the plate on and after a major rewire/rerig of the mast last year i just don't have that kind of ambition. The last owner drilled a 3/4 inch hole at the base of the mast to run a vhf cable.... I may be able to get my finger in there with a lock washer and a nut?