B & G Hornet 4 Wind Instruments

Brian K

Member III
At the beginning of a 4 day cruise I notice the wind speed and direction instruments had stopped functioning. They were working just fine the week before. I'm seeking advice on how to trouble shoot this problem. The mast head unit is turning as it should. The main display at the nav station, the cockpit repeater and the cockpit wind direction instrument are all reading the same. The wind direction at the main display is constant at about 130 (the digital LCD number displays). The wind direction repeater in the cockpit remains stationary pointed at the same direction. The windspeed in the cockpit repeater displays a number that seems to be about 1/3 to 1/5 of the acutual speed. I checked all the connections where the instrument wires connect from the mast to the boat at the partners and there is no problem there. The black wire has continuity to ground. I think at this point that it may be something at the masthead connection but I'm really at a loss as to what is happening here. Any suggestions what or how to test to track down the problem?