Balmar 712-80 as Second Alternator ?

chaco

Member III
Well here is the deal.....the Beta Factory recommends leaving the std 40A
alternator to charge the Start System and install the Balmar 712-80 as a
House System charger (space constraints) :boohoo:
Would appreciate FEEDBACK (Pics) on how to install the second alternator
on the Beta 902 (3) cylinder Kubota block (Universal XP-25 etc).
And...is this the "Way to Go"... are their other options :confused:

Thanks Electrical Mechanics :D

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Sounds like overkill to me with more things to go wrong and more power drained from the engine. I have seen photos of such a setup, but on much bigger engines. Why not install the Balmar and use a battery combiner to charge the starting battery or, if it is a different chemistry, Balmar's DuoCharge?

Last edited:

Captron

Member III
I like Geoff's suggestion.

My system uses a Balmar 812-65 and their smart 3 stage regulator. (uses the stock 3/8 belt which also drives the circulating water pump). The start battery is charged via a battery combiner once the house bank reaches a preset voltage. (the alternator/regulator is sold as a package deal at West Marine)

I eliminated the factory 1-2-Both-Off battery switch and a bunch of other stuff (isolators, rheostats, switches, wire) from previous owners in favor of a simple on-off switch for the house bank and an on-off for the start battery. There is an emergency-only cut-over switch that enables engine starting from the house bank ... I've used it once in 3 years, mainly due to corrosion on the starter motor terminal. (by the way Blue Seas makes a very nice switch panel for this set-up with a keyed emergency switch)

I find that the starting battery is always full while the house bank takes most of the loading/charging activity ... just what I want.

rssailor

alternator

Well I would get like an eighty amp alternator, maybe a leece neville or a balmar or something similar. Two alternators are overkill and to complex for a small boat like yours. Use a Balmar MC 612 regulator with the alternator and battery temp sensors to control whatever alternator you choose. Then, use a digital duo charge to keep the engine battery from being overcharged. Good luck. Ryan

chaco

Member III
Thanks Gentlemen.....I bought the Balmar Alternator as a replacement on the
old Universal M4-30. I agree that (2) alternators on a wee 25HP diesel is
WAY overkill. The Standard 40A is not going to make it charging a 240ah
House System. The boat had a Hehr-Aqualine Regulator installed on a
Motorola 60A internal regulated alternator? Somebody had their WIRES
crossed! Don't think the PO burned it up... so I will hook it up and see if
she works. Found the Aqualine Manual online. Anyone ever use one of these
CRITTERS ? Will keep the original alternator for emergencies.
Now it's on to the alternator mounting bracket.