balsa core-E 27

outahere

Member II
Any one know what the thickness is of the balsa core used in the deck of an E 27? I have to repair an area of delam and would like to have all my material together before I start.

Lucky Dog

Member III
E35ii

I am presently re-coring our decks. I purchased 1/2 end grain balsa wood. The resins they used to glue the core requires some sanding to get a leveled finished. I looked into newer products, I could see spending twice as much just to save weight.

ml

outahere

Member II
e 27 core

I have to repair the foredeck area only. I like the idea of not having to sand as much, any suggestion on alternate materials?

Are you repairing from above or underneath? I've read alot of posts about both. I like the idea of not cutting through the deck from above, but I'm not sold on cutting through the interior liner and glassing upside down. would you not have to cut through the liner, remove that peice and then through the underside of the deck below the existing core? Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Lucky Dog

Member III
Getting to the core of thee question

We are cutting from the under side for the deck and from the outside on the cabin roof. The non skid surface keep me from working on the deck from the outside. I am experimenting with duplicating the non skid. So far I have successfully duplicated the cockpit hatch cover. I am adding it to the port side.

I love to turn the boat upside down like I have with a 24 footer. I suspect it with be messy, but it easy sanding. I have more money invested in sanders than my first two cars cost me. I actually like sanding, I find it soothing and immediate gratification.

There is brace down the center. I ripped a hole in the skin when cut mine out.

Buy a really good respirator mask and change out the filters daily.

ml

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Balsa Core thickness

I tried to measure mine last weekend and came up with 3/8 inch. Measured in the cockpit and on the cabintop. Not sure of side decks and foredeck, but I would assume its similar. I did have some difficulty measuring since I had not yet started cutting into the boat.

Anyone else done a recore and remember the core thickness?

Doug

Rhynie

Member III
I have piece of deck from my 1978, E34 T in the garage right now; a stanchion got torn out during the last storm (another story). The core in that sample is 1/2 inch.

outahere

Member II
thanks to all. If the weather ever clears here I might have a chance to get started. I've got spring/sailing fever as bad as I ever have had.

Rhynie,

Is your boat in the gulf or in Ponchatraine?

Glenn