Best location for fridge compressor?

mszoek

Hello! Long time lurker here :)

I am considering doing the icebox to fridge conversion (NovaKool LT-201-RT4) on my 1985 E30 and wondering about the best location to install the compressor/condenser unit. I don't want refrigeration lines all over so I am leaning towards turning the little box area behind the galley sink into a compressor compartment and ducting it to one of the transom vents. I mostly just store spare coolant and oil there now.

The compressor should fit nicely, and have good air intake if I drill some holes in the back of the box. Hot air would be blown out the duct on top. Plus it's right next to the icebox. It seems from reading threads like many people have the compressor under the settee somewhere. I assumed this would have poor air circulation but I guess it works. Does my design seem reasonable? Am I overthinking this? :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If your model permits, a lazarette shelf is a good place for the compressor. They do make heat and a whirring noise.

1723905903819.jpeg

Located behind the hook.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I put mine in the sail locker - on the E29, it's just a few inches from the icebox, on the other side of the bulkhead. The small Isotherm unit that I bought is completely silent from the cabin.

More recently, I was sold on the Isotherm "SP" series, which simply replaces the through-hull fitting for the galley sink drain for quiet water-cooled refrigeration. But have yet to install it. On schedule for next month.

mszoek

I put mine in the sail locker - on the E29, it's just a few inches from the icebox, on the other side of the bulkhead. The small Isotherm unit that I bought is completely silent from the cabin.

More recently, I was sold on the Isotherm "SP" series, which simply replaces the through-hull fitting for the galley sink drain for quiet water-cooled refrigeration. But have yet to install it. On schedule for next month.
I looked at that SP unit! It's quite interesting. Let me know how that goes!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am considering doing the icebox to fridge conversion (NovaKool LT-201-RT4) on my 1985 E30 and wondering about the best location to install the compressor/condenser unit.
Can you post up some photos of the galley area & ice box, and also where you might place the compressor?