• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Best prop for an Ericson 39?

DiamondDealer

Member II
This is a follow up to some of my earlier questions (there will be plenty!). I've "signed on*" an Ericson 39 that appears to be set up as a damned fine sailer. The prop is a two blade folder that we're just not sure of. Here in Charleston SC the waters can run very hard, and it's a good thing to know you're good under power both forward and in reverse.

So what recommendations would y'all make? I know our current prop is fantastic under sail, but we will have to motor more than a bit. Loren here suggests a three blade feathering prop (thanks Loren). Any other thoughts, comments, cautions, warnings, endorsements?

Again, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience. It's appreciated more than you know.

(*"Signed on" really means the owner seems to respect me and wants me to help get things up and running correctly, at least in these early days.)

Guy Stevens

Max Prop. Have 10s of thousands of miles on an E-39 with a maxprop. Nothing else comes close. "3 blade Classic" works fine

G
:)

DiamondDealer

Member II
I just checked out their site and the Max Prop Classic has been retired as of 2019. It looks like the Max-prop Easy is the successor. Still looks good, though. Do you think it'll do as well as the earlier one?

DaveE26

Member I
You cant go wrong with Max Prop, the only key to keeping it happy is grease every year and in places like Fla 2 times a year.
I have a 13" 2 blade and its the best!

DiamondDealer

Member II
Thanks for all the input gang. We had quite an adventure yesterday (I'll tell about it elsewhere) and I got to see just how bad the two blade folding prop on this boat really is for reverse. Man, it was almost non-existent! Bringing her into dock at one point, "parallel parking" between two other vessels, I doubt I was able to shave half a knot off my forward way by putting her in reverse.

We'll definitely be looking into the Max Prop three blade sooner rather than later.