Best Spring Vang

EngineerSailing

I've decided to pull out my Navtec Hydraulic vang and system
Now I need to replace with a working spring Vang to support the boom of my E36RH

Is there suggestions on the best value of Spring Vang I can install to support my boom?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I have a question for the mechanical vang crowd. We don’t have a mechanical vang. (Hell, we don’t even use our traditional vang since installing a Walder Boom Brake.) However, I’ve spent the night on two boats with mechanical vangs and they were so damn squeaky, I found myself wishing for halyards banging on the mast to drown out the sound. Is that a normal byproduct of the mechanical vang, or was I simply on a couple boats with owners that haven’t maintained theirs properly?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Or boat came with one of these:

It's not fancy, but it works and doesn't squeek. I've wanted to replace it because it looks a little funny to me, but it just works so I can't justify the expense yet.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Or boat came with one of these:

It's not fancy, but it works and doesn't squeek. I've wanted to replace it because it looks a little funny to me, but it just works so I can't justify the expense yet.
I’ve thought of that unit as well. I think my 32 is near the top end of their capacity range. I like that when the vang tackle is shifted to one side (as I do when not sailing), the boom kicker does not obstruct the main hatch from opening.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have a Selden Rodkicker and it works great. It came with the boat but needed a new gas spring. The spring was available from Selden but I found what I needed for cheaper at McMaster Carr. No squeaks and no need for a topping lift.

I reversed the main hatch so there is no interference with the vang.

IMG_8999.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Solid vangs are everywhere now, proof of their value. But I would like to mention some attributes of the traditional vang, beyond cost.

A topping lift, when the sail is lowered and the boom is snugged down, makes the boom rock solid. That's a real advantage sometimes, not only at the dock but in a hairy seaway when the mainsail is furled and the boom is a support for those working on deck. Perhaps today's rigid vangs can also be set up rock solid.

Also, rope vangs are flexible, as relates to the main hatch, and they are easily led back for cockpit control.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We love the solid vang made by Garhauer. It works easily, does not squeak, holds the boom up when at dock (though I do attach a simple line from the end of the boom to the pushpit which snugs the boom in place to avoid any play at the gooseneck in strong winds, and holds the boom high enough the i can walk under it at dock. It's a great set up.
Frank