Birds On Radar Dome

chtaylor

Member II
Lately, a seagull has taken roost on my JRC radar antenna and is pooping all over the stern of the boat.:mad: I suppose that the marina and local law enforcement would frown on my use of firearms. Therefore, I'm thinking about mounting one of those spike strips that West Marine sells for this purpose on top of the antenna cover. Does anyone know whether or not it would interfere with the radar?

Thanks,

Charles

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I put those spikes on top of one those Shakespeare TV antennas and it stopped the birds from landing there.

chtaylor

Member II
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to put the spike strip on this weekend. If that doesn't work, Rob's alternative sounds like a good idea, but I don't think I would need the scope. ;)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to put the spike strip on this weekend. If that doesn't work, Rob's alternative sounds like a good idea, but I don't think I would need the scope. ;)

My eyes are getting old, iron sights don't get it done anymore, I've succumbed to good 'glass as a crutch.....
RT

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... late to the thread, but I was thinking of putting the radar target right above the radome. The only place I can see where I wouldn't have to worry about interference... I wonder if that would have any anti-avian properties?

I have awful problems with woodpeckers in the eaves of my house and starlings in my cherry trees. The only thing I've found that really keeps them off is tinsel-streamers. But those only last for a season.

chtaylor

Member II
Mark,

How did you secure the spike strip to your radar dome. I'm leery of using screws because I don't want to penetrate the dome and interfere with the antenna's rotation or possibly start a leak. I'm considering epoxy.

Thanks,

Charles

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I cut the spike strips into about 7" pieces and attached three in a triangle pattern using small strips of velcro. I wasn't sure how long it would last, but they have been there more than a year at least. They do look like they are about due for replacement; both the plastic on the spikes and the velcro look like they have deteriorated somewhat.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Birds

This thread makes me feel so much better about the little messes the swarm of swallows left on deck at Manzanita Bay on Sunday!