BoatWorks Magazine

Mike Thomas

Member II
I've been out of touch for a while so this may have been mentioned already but I just received the spring 2005 issue of BoatWorks magazine. It has a nice review of the Ericson 38s and a nice sidebar mention of the web site and newly formed Ericson Association.

Article quote
"Information Sources"
Ericson Association
www.ericsonyachts.com
"this site is maintained by Ericson owners and includes technical information, links to related sites and an EXTENSIVE discussion board" (that's us)

Although no mention of Sean who deserves a lot of credit....

http://www.sailmag.com/boatworks/boatworkstoc/

Mike
E-29 Zephyr

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Mike -

That's ok - they've (all) been doing that for years. It's nice that they mention the site - although with the URL change this month, I hope we don't lose sources such as them.

//sse

jmoses

Member III
BoatWorks rag Faux Paux...for real?

I am not at all impressed with the Boatworks rag.

For instance: did any one catch the recent but rather inadequate helm station install starting on page 72? I'd alomost bet the pedastal will wreck the cored cockpit sole due to no backing plate(s) under the cored cockpit decking, let alone,thru-bolts. Then read the "Rudder Questions" Q&A section up front on page 14-15 and wa la...the responder states in the last paragraph that "A problem I often see with after-market steering systems-...- is caused by a lack of below-sole support for the pedastal base and weakened deck core that has resulted from flexing"......DOHHH, see page 72-79 for that problem.

I'd hope a reasonable sailing rag like Sail would do a better job of portraying projects and how to do them correctly......I am appalled at the magazine for that one (amongst other errors in recent issues).

John M,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you are looking for more DIY projects in a couple of issues than almost all of the domestic mags cover in a couple of years, start reading Practical Boat Owner, from the UK.
They seem to take seriously the average owner who enjoys improving and maintaining his/her boat. The subscription is not inexpensive, but each issue is large and the articles are well-illustrated.

Loren

u079721

Contributing Partner
PBO is the best

I agree with Loren about Practical Boat Owner. I have been reading it for years, and am always impressed with just how much I get out of each issue. I've even had a number of my "things that work" type tips published there. It's also interesting because unlike the US magazines, it does not cater to the latest 45 footer being launched.

The two magazine subscriptions that I intend to keep up with - now that I am boatless - are Good Old Boat and PBO.

jmoses

Member III
Diy

Steve,

I agree, many mass circulation US boat/sail mags assume we are all filthy rich and it's just a matter of "Which $4,000 color plotter do I install via West Marine on my new 45 footer?" type of article. Practical Sailor is somewhat of an exception. Another good exception is "Professional Boatbuilder" for those in the trades. It's free and rather good reading on occasion. They are pretty easy on subscribtions, so try faxing to them about a subscription and sign up.

Also, the actual "DIY Boat Owner" magazine out of Canada is pretty decent too. It's 4 issues a year for $18.00 US. They also have CD's on topics such as electrical systems, fiberglass reapirs, etc. However, I have not looked at those, so I can't comment on them.

I'll look into the UK magazine. After all, Europeans seem much more practical and more inclined to DIY projects (or at least writing about them?). What;s the subscrition rate if I may ask? If it seems like a worth while magazine, I'll queu up and order it.

John M.