Bomon ports ship next week !

sailbags

Boman Ports - Fixed ports on cabin side?

I'm looking for the original manufacturer of the fixed trapezoidal ports on the cabin sides on my 1990 38-200. Would like to replace them or have someone rebuild the existing ones (or give me some input on how to do it). Might Boman be able to help? Thanks.

Sven

Seglare
I'm looking for the original manufacturer of the fixed trapezoidal ports on the cabin sides on my 1990 38-200. Would like to replace them or have someone rebuild the existing ones (or give me some input on how to do it). Might Boman be able to help? Thanks.

The new ports Bomon built to Mike's specs look really good. That's the way we chose to proceed and so far no regrets (but we will not use the weather stripping they included in place of butyl).

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I doubt you will find the original manufacturer; they are probably no longer in business. The original windows are also not worth what it would cost to rebuild them, considering that Bomon can make essentially the exact same window for $312 or less. (Or more if you want the thicker glass.)

If you are interested, check out post #45 in the following thread; it contains the PDF file of the measurements I sent to Bomon and the drawings they created from them.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=9603&page=3

I have not yet installed the new Bomon windows as I still need to make two more routing templates. (I am making one template for each window so they match exactly.) I had the new windows made a little larger all the way around so I could re-cut the openings and clean them up better.

Some pics of the new windows in this thread:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=9844

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Very soft aluminum

We installed the port portlights before heading to the island a few days ago.

They seem to be really well put together and screwed into place very nicely. I have to admit that the aluminum frames seemed a bit soft, almost as soft as lead, but we'll see if that matters.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
I spoke to a Lewmar rep at Strictly Sail Pacific last month and asked him about the fixed ports on my 1989 32-200. He said Lewmar still makes a fixed port that will fit the forward cutout, but they no longer make one for the rear. He suggested I contact Bomon. Bomon has two patterns for the 32-200, and sent me printouts of their Autocad drawings so I can choose the best fit.

Cost was quoted to me at $294 per window.