Boom Fitting

erikwfab

Member II
I am looking for an additional boom slot fitting like I have for my mainsheet
Slot dimensions are 1” ODx 1/2”IDx 1/4” deep pictured car is 6” long, not critical.
Other than say Minnies here in SoCal (havent contacted yet) does anyone know of either a new parts vendor or used supply chandlery who might have one, its made of AL. I could have one easily fabbed out of 316 but wanted to throw this out there and see, Cheers

Attachments

• 321C989C-8879-4BC6-A425-035F0968F629.jpeg
    321C989C-8879-4BC6-A425-035F0968F629.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
  • CCA5279B-7784-466C-B932-65DC06A05ED2.jpeg
    CCA5279B-7784-466C-B932-65DC06A05ED2.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 26
  • 0A7ED2D9-2353-4210-AB86-7BC18AAEDD48.jpeg
    0A7ED2D9-2353-4210-AB86-7BC18AAEDD48.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 26

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Erik,

That is an interesting looking set up you have. I haven't seen one of that type before, but that doesn't mean a lot. ;)
What is it you want to replace, the car? It shows a little bit of corrosion underneath, but maybe OK otherwise. A bronze wire brush and some aluminum primer and paint could take care of that. The hole doesn't look elongated and if it holds well in the track it is probably OK. I wouldn't re-fab out of 316 stainless because then corrosion would rear it ugly head..... dissimilar metals.

The shackles look bad though. I would replace those. Any chandlery, West Marine, Defender or on line would have suitable replacements. You might want to look at the way they are installed. Perhaps there is a better set up.

erikwfab

Member II
Boom is original Ericson and there is nothing wrong with current car or set up, trust me its been jybed tacked and hauled on in heavy weather, just looking for another, dissimilar metals with 316 not an issue.
Thanks,

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Unless that was the design on earlier Ericson/Kenyon booms, you might have trouble finding one. I've haven't seen anyone else post with that set-up before. The mid 80's Kenyon spars used interior-mounted pad-eyes for boom attachments:

20190114_202548.jpg 20180319_162252.4.jpg

It's difficult to add new ones so it's common to add a boom bail instead:

Gooseneck 3.jpg

erikwfab

Member II
1639690514305.png

Found this on the Catalina Direct site, for $120, new, which is what I'm looking for, it's 1-3/16" W. no rush, so grinding on an overpriced fitting doesn't agree with my sensibilities.
The reason for this madness is that the Gauhauer rigid vang boom bail holes are not wide enough to properly clear the internal boom track. so the bolts in threaded holes are backing out. Of course a new wide bail either riveted or through bolted is an option, just looking for simple slide for $20.
Of course it doesnt help that I recently heard a E36C that foundered off Portland recently and was scrapped by Capt Jims Chandlery there. they are closed now relocating, I spoke with him just after and few parts remain.... Oh the agony, of all those wasted fittings!!!!!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The reason for this madness is that the Gauhauer rigid vang boom bail holes are not wide enough to properly clear the internal boom track. so the bolts in threaded holes are backing out. Of course a new wide bail either riveted or through bolted is an option, just looking for simple slide for $20.
Of course it doesnt help that I recently heard a E36C that foundered off Portland recently and was scrapped by Capt Jims Chandlery there. they are closed now relocating, I spoke with him just after and few parts remain.... Oh the agony, of all those wasted fittings!!!!!
Erik,

Gaurhauer is reputed to be great to work with in these situations and the website says this, so I would call them directly. They might have a simple and inexpensive solution even if you got a used vang and are trying to install it. Maybe as simple as shackles. See below:

RV20-1 DX
RIGID BOOM VANG

Fittings: custom fitted for mast and boom
Rigid Boom Vangs are custom made for each boat. Customization includes:

• Length of vang
  • Length/weight of boom
  • Boom plate custom made to your boom profile
  • Mast plate custom made to your mast profile
  • Distance between lowest mounting place on mast and gooseneck

Guy Stevens

If you are adding a rigid boom vang I would recommend the standard Garhauer saddle that comes with a new vang over the slot type used with the soft vang.
The rigid bangs can exert a lot of force on the boom and I have seen numerous fractures of the extruded slots when used with rigid vangs.
The saddle type Garhauer provides with their vangs spreads the load over a larger area that the old extruded slot type mount which better protects the boom.
Guy

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
The mid 80's Kenyon spars used interior-mounted pad-eyes for boom attachments:

View attachment 41102 View attachment 41103

It's difficult to add new ones so it's common to add a boom bail instead:
Has anyone sourced these internal padeyes/boom hangers before?

I had one blow apart on me in a gust the other day. It failed at the welds it seems. It was rather alarming.
1692031936462.jpeg
I managed to jury rig a fix by threading a U-bolt through the backing plate and then re-riveting it.
Boat hook antics were required to get it in and out of the middle of the boom.

I'd like to replace all 3 fittings over the winter when I pull the boom off.

So far I've only found similar fittings on rig-rite. The measurements all seem a little off for the rivet hole spacing. They're quite expensive.
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Boom_bails.php#Internal Boom Bails
1692031572186.gif

Seems like my options are:
Switch to external boom bails.
Buy from rig-rite, perhaps the undrilled ones so I can get the rivet holes lined up
Use U bolts with the existing or newly fabricated backing plates
Have new ones custom welded or fabricated. Might the rig-rite heavy duty design be stronger without the weld?
1692031546447.gif

What do you all think?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

I had one blow apart on me in a gust the other day. It failed at the welds it seems. It was rather alarming.
View attachment 47895
I managed to jury rig a fix by threading a U-bolt through the backing plate and then re-riveting it.

So far I've only found similar fittings on rig-rite. The measurements all seem a little off for the rivet hole spacing. They're quite expensive.
View attachment 47894

Buy from rig-rite, perhaps the undrilled ones so I can get the rivet holes lined up
Have new ones custom welded or fabricated. Might the rig-rite heavy duty design be stronger without the weld?
View attachment 47893

What do you all think?
If you decide to go the custom route, check with Garhauer. They sometimes will make custom fittings. I had them make new chainplate U-bolts for my E26-2. I just gave them an old one and they duplicated it. (Actually, theirs was superior to the original.) Their price was very reasonable.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I paid up for the internal version for form and function.

An internal replacement looks sleeker and if anyone is ever struck by the boom unexpectedly, the nuts and bolts on the external bails are potentially injurious protrusions.

But either choice will work....

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Might the rig-rite heavy duty design be stronger without the weld?
I don't like this one:
1692036705007.png
It has almost no surface area to spread the load compared to the original bail. I would be very concerned that it would pull out, badly damaging the boom.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2

View attachment 47895

View attachment 47894

View attachment 47893

What do you all think?
I had to replace the same part, for the same reason, a few years back. I could also only find the fitting from RigRite, and after a few evenings of website searches and whiskey over ice found an exact match. I had my rigger install because I did not have a suitable riveter. The new one has held fast. Not to say it's your best option, but at least you have another data point.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Do you remember what you purchased, and from where?

Still have the part number, by chance?

Thanks for your input!
Gmail search is a wonderful thing.

Internal Boom Bail: K-11428
Heavy 5/16" SS bail is welded to a SS plate formed to fit the inside of the boom. Unit is mounted inside the boom, where bail protrudes through a 5/16" x 1 1/2" slot, and is held in place with (2) 3/16" SS rivets on 3 1/4" centers. Curved plate measures 4" long x 1 3/8" wide.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Gmail search is a wonderful thing.

Internal Boom Bail: K-11428
Heavy 5/16" SS bail is welded to a SS plate formed to fit the inside of the boom. Unit is mounted inside the boom, where bail protrudes through a 5/16" x 1 1/2" slot, and is held in place with (2) 3/16" SS rivets on 3 1/4" centers. Curved plate measures 4" long x 1 3/8" wide.
Also, should note that my boom is a Kenyon for an E28-2. Your mileage may vary.