Boom height

Lone Gull

Member I
We're now the proud owners of a 1985 32-3 and starting to think of changes to make it our own. I noticed that one needs an extension ladder to reach the outboard end of the boom from the cockpit. Has anyone thought of lowering the boom by 12" to make it more accessible? Thoughts.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You should be able to lower the boom end with the topping lift to the extent of the internal wire bridle . If that's
not enough you could installed a longer internal TL bridle.

If you lash the boom hard over in the cockpit, the cockpit seats give additional height.

Permanently lowering the boom would mean lowering the gooseneck, which doesn't seem like a good idea, or necessary, and would require a nonstandard mainsail.

peaman

Sustaining Member
When not sailing, I move the forward shackle of my boom vang from the mast to one end of my traveller, and I then adjust the traveller to hold the boom from the opposite side. I did this initially to keep the boom from moving and wearing the traveler pad eye, but it also puts the boom end in a convenient place over the cockpit coaming so I can easily access the sail cover, reefing lines, etc.

Lone Gull

Member I
That's a great idea, thanks. We're picking the boat up in Racine, WI on Friday and making the 200 nm passage to Northport, MI (our home port) Friday and Saturday. Looks like the weather Gods are in our favor but one never knows.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I agree with Christian, lowering the boom connection at the mast would be a bad idea. We sail a 1987 E32-3 and I have a sailbag (with lazy jacks) on the boom which has a zipper, starting at the end of the boom, to close the bag. After it was installed I could barely reach the zipper from the center of the cockpit but by simply using the traveler to move the boom all the way to port or starboard I can stand on the coaming in the cockpit and easily reach the zipper to open or close the bag.