By-lines

Dave Hussey

Member III
I was thinking >stop the presses...a thought is about to be disclosed<
you know, when someone creates a new topic, their name is placed under the title in the by-line. However, any replies, or conversation that ensues causes the by-line to change, and I think this is unfortunate. I always feel like I'm hijacking someone's thread, when my name replaces theirs. Shouldn't the originator of the thread keep their by-line? :confused::nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I will post a "reply" and see if the name changes....

Loren

ps: Nope. You are still the named thread originator....

Dave Hussey

Member III
new title

Hi Loren,
Hmmm, I see the error of my ways...it's the 'last post' column where the new author's name appears. And if that person doesnt enter a new title, it appears to look like they've hijacked the subject, as their name is now associated with the original title. I usually read and reply in the General Forum pages, and rarely change a title...hence I unwittingly hijack... :nerd:

Dave Hussey

Member III
sticking to my original comment

Hey again Loren,
I just did an experiment, which reinforces my conviction...here's what I tried:
If you go out to the Information Exchange level, then pick a heading, for instance, the Lifestyle and Living pages...there is a short topic on canned bacon. Note that I was not the originator of the topic, but by making a reply, I've hijacked the by line in the 'last post' column. I had thought that a new title in my reply would make a difference, but it didnt. (I've deleted my experimental post, since it was just a test)
Anyway, that was my thought. (an over active adrenal gland in my brain I guess) :)
chears.
DFH

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When you view the list of General Ericson Forums, the column under which you see your name as a subsequent poster is the "Last Post" column. When you open that forum and view the list of threads, then it shows the originating post and originating author.
I see what you mean, though, when you look at the Last Post column only.

Happy surfing!
:)

Loren

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
This is the title of my response - not the entire thread...

Correct - the title of the thread itself does not change - but it indicates what the 'last post' was.

This is to encourage further discussion - as you can see what the last response to the discussion line was...

:egrin:

//sse