• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabinet Door Latch

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
We learned the hard way that the cabinet door latches aren't up to the task on our last outing. The boat was sailing beautifully with a reef in the main and 15 - 20 knots on a starboard tack just shy of being close hauled. Down below was a different story. I thought my wife was just grabbing an extra layer, but after my daughter came up to yell "put the sails down NOW Dad!", I thought it would be a good idea to see what was going on. I saw my wife with her body wedged against the v birth wall using all her limbs to keep the cabinet doors closed. My son was holding the galley drawers closed. Both were looking less than pleased with me at the moment.

Does anyone else have the same issue? I can see where the stops for the drawers in the galley have broken and will be easy to replace, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the cabinet doors. Does everyone else still use the stock latches or should I use something else?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I'm not sure what kind of latch you have on the doors, but if you have the small ones with a ball bearing on a spring, there is a screw on both the top and bottom that can be tightened or loosened to adjust the tension on the door. When mine were too loose, opening under sail, a simple turn of the screw solved the problem.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For drawers, plastic child locks work well. Drawer opens only two inches, stick your finger in to permit full open.

On the other hand I'm glad to have them out of the house where they were a continual annoyance.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I didn't look at the catch to see if there were adjustments. I'll check it out this afternoon.

Child locks sound like a simple solution, but I can't tell you how much satisfaction I got from removing them from my house a few years ago (unfortunately, my dog may have enjoyed that day more than I did). Going back may feel too close to defeat. Is that what you used on your passages to Hawaii?