Central A/C

James Carlisle

After a long hot summer ( in central Kansas this is 100+ degrees) I'm considering central AC for The Valkyrie, an Ericson 32. Has anyone in this group successfuly installed one? If so, where did you install the compressor? Since it is a handful and quite heavy it seems that it should be located somewhere low; however air distribution is a problem. Are there any guide lines? Any suggestions?

Ray Rhode

Member III
I had hoped someone with first hand info would reply before I jumped in. A friend has a Mermaid Marine Air system on his 86 E32. It was installed by the PO and the air distribution is truly a problem. The unit is installed on the port side aft of the head bulkhead. There is one outlet in that bulkhead very close to the hull and a second in the v-berth. The ducting is run behind the head vanity as I recall. It seems to work well enough.

I have looked at installing a unit on my 84 E35 and will probably install it on the starboard side under the seat, either by removing the water tank or sacraficing the storage space aft of the tank. Distribution will still be a problem. I talked to a VP of Mermaid at Sail Expo last November and they suggest at least two outlets to minimize the velocity of the cold air. You might contact them through www.mmair.com and see if they have any suggetions. If it would help I might be able to get some digital shots of my friends installation.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189