• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Change is not always improvement [Defender Marine Supply]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For Home Depot, one trick I have finally learned is to note the item location while on line. It saves me a good deal of searching for items possibly separated by 200 yards of racks. You can do it on a cell phone while standing there, and it beats finding somebody to ask. Example:

11 in stock Aisle 22, Bay 022

Chschaus

"Voila"
If you think the New website stinks you should visit the new remodeled (No Self Service) store. Defender outlet store is about 30min from our Marina, I needed a few things and they are much less expensive than WM so on Saturday I took a ride. I almost gave up and walked out! The store that was once huge is now a few hundred sq feet and all items need to be ordered from the website (with the help of an employee) and picked from the warehouse. fortunately what I needed only took a few minutes after my 40 min wait for assistance. There were people waiting for well over an hr! I guess they just want to do all online.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
If you think the New website stinks you should visit the new remodeled (No Self Service) store. Defender outlet store is about 30min from our Marina, I needed a few things and they are much less expensive than WM so on Saturday I took a ride. I almost gave up and walked out! The store that was once huge is now a few hundred sq feet and all items need to be ordered from the website (with the help of an employee) and picked from the warehouse. fortunately what I needed only took a few minutes after my 40 min wait for assistance. There were people waiting for well over an hr! I guess they just want to do all online.
Yip they have gone backwards for in person store sales and prices have gone up noticeably. I've given up on Defender now moved my purchases to WM Mystic, CT as they have in person store shopping, the downside is their store stock levels are often low or out of stock on the shelf. The WM gold rewards program along with their many specials and discount codes makes WM very competitive with Defender. They also will price match if in store and you ask.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Yip they have gone backwards for in person store sales and prices have gone up noticeably. I've given up on Defender now moved my purchases to WM Mystic, CT as they have in person store shopping, the downside is their store stock levels are often low or out of stock on the shelf. The WM gold rewards program along with their many specials and discount codes makes WM very competitive with Defender. They also will price match if in store and you ask.
Makes sense from a bottom line.

Less overhead on inventory and fewer employees. By ordering on the website they can have items shipped from a manufacturer and don't even need as much stock, warehousing, or inventory.

Sucks as a "need it today" customer or looking for something unusual.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
West Marine in Marina del Rey, a concentrated boat market, five years ago had a large store with half a dozen well stocked aisles. They intended to move half a mile to a new Waterfront development, with larger space and better parking. Staff were excited.

Then Covid. Floor space of store was cut in half. Plan to move was scrapped. Yet it's still a valuable resource and one of their flagships.

Ah yes, walk-in retail. Today I needed a new mouse pad. The store is four blocks away on my electric bike, where I can park within two feet of the door. But I ordered it from Amazon. It was $1.99 (33 percent off). It will be here tomorrow, free shipping. Irresistible is 2023.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I usually don't like to price match, but West Marine is so far out of line on their prices I don't feel bad taking them up on their offer. This weekend's example was a 250' spool of Anchor 14 awg duplex wire. WM had it for $242.99. Anchor Express advertised it for $106 and WM matched it.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Rem
West Marine in Marina del Rey, a concentrated boat market, five years ago had a large store with half a dozen well stocked aisles. They intended to move half a mile to a new Waterfront development, with larger space and better parking. Staff were excited.

Then Covid. Floor space of store was cut in half. Plan to move was scrapped. Yet it's still a valuable resource and one of their flagships.

Ah yes, walk-in retail. Today I needed a new mouse pad. The store is four blocks away on my electric bike, where I can park within two feet of the door. But I ordered it from Amazon. It was $1.99 (33 percent off). It will be here tomorrow, free shipping. Irresistible is 2023.
Remember when it was The Captains Locker?