• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chicago to Mac Race 2022

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I'm curious if anyone is planning or thinking about doing the Chicago to Mac 2022 ? Also would like to hear from those of you who have done it in the past and can share their planning, prep, & experience. I'm thinking I would like to try it before I get too long in the tooth so any input would be appreciated.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Hi Dave, I am doing my first Mac this year on a Beneteau 36 with a friend who has completed 8 races (on different boats). I’m happy to share what we have been doing to get his boat ready.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I’m happy to share what we have been doing to get his boat ready.
Hi Bill, Yes I would love to hear that punch list and what sail inventory you guys are thinking. I am also curious what the race committee requires as far as safety equipment, electronics/communication equipment. Thanks !

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Hi Dave, take a look through the attached (I printed a .XLSM to .PDF so it might display a little funky).

Attachments

• 2021-CMSR-Monohull-Official-v1_AppendixA.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021-CMSR-Monohull-Official-v1_AppendixC.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 2
  • 2021-CMSR-Monohull-Official-v1_AppendixB.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2021-CMSR-Monohull-Official-v1.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 2

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Thank you Bill. There are definitely some items I would need to add to my boat to qualify. I think I'll need to wait another season at least. Although might be able to beg, borrow for a couple of weeks. Thanks again for your efforts and have a great race !

SV_Ariel

Just my two cents...Doing the Queens Cup at South Shore Yacht Club, or possibly The Hook at Racine Yacht Club would be a good way to get some open Lake Michigan experience before jumping in to the Mac. Queens Cup crosses from Milwaukee to Grand Haven this year, took us 11 hours last year. The Hook starts at Racine up to Menomonie Michigan through deaths door. The Hook is a two day race.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I should also add that you need an "invite" for the Mac. Invites, as I understand it, are based primarily on the experience of the crew (each member applies) related to overnight, continuous distance racing.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
experience of the crew (each member applies) related to overnight, continuous distance racing.
That is quite the qualifier for sure. Not sure where you would get that experience on the Great Lakes other than the Mac it self. I guess you would need to get crew that had prior Macs on their resume. I've done plenty of racing but not overnight round the clock type. Also done a lot of long distance cruising both day and night. I don't have illusions of winning, it's just something I would like to experience.