Coming to a Head: Holding Tank or Portable?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Hi, Dave. I've attached some pictures of the installation on my E26-2. Note that the Thetford 550p MSD is technically a discontinued model, though I do see it still for sale. Old stock perhaps?
They have a newer model (365) which seems to have the same footprint and is also MSD. I'd probably go with that for future parts availability, etc.

1. I find that it fits just fine on the platform and I am able to use it without issue. I'm only about 5'7", though.
Good to know - we're 5'11 and 5'8, so sounds about right.

2. You'll note the custom stainless bracket I had made that secures the front of the head. Behind the head (not shown in the pictures) is a wooden cleat that holds the rear of the toilet base in place. This stainless bracket I had fabricated is pretty fancy, but you could get by with something simpler. The point, though, is that the flimsy plastic brackets that ship with the unit are totally inadequate. You definitely don't want the thing coming up and out of the brackets in a seaway. I've had this installed for around 8 years and it is utterly solid.
Once I get it, I'll have to see what the newer model comes with and have something fabricated. I like the knob on the front of yours - does it just thread into a t-nut or something there?

3. Yes, the 90-degree bend for the discharge is certainly not ideal. However, I could see no way around it. I can say that I've had no issue with clogs in that elbow in the past 8+ years, so it hasn't proven to be a problem in practical life. Note the elongated hole we cut in the liner to accommodate the hose.
The newer models have a straight discharge for MSD. I'm expecting some modifications in this area. But, I will only be sending it up to the deck pump-out.

4. You'll see a switch with a red switch guard. That is the cockpit eject switch for catapulting the user through the cabin ceiling. Ok, maybe not.
Gotta love ejector seats!

This is for the macerator that is located in the comparment on the starboard side, forward of the bulkhead that separates the head from the vee-berth. Where I sail, I always discharge the tank contents when 3 miles offshore using the macerator pump.
Being on a lake, I don't need the pump overboard option. So I'm actually closing up both through-hulls that accommodated this. They both had PVC elbows and this solves that problem altogether. Two less valves to worry about exercising. Our marina has a pump-out station that I can use. If someone buys this boat and takes it to the ocean, they can cut a new hole for pump-out. It will be minor compared to other things that will need to happen to this boat to be ready for open water sailing.

5. The vent on this unti is fairly marginal. I just hooked it to the same vent fitting to which the previous bladder holding tank (ugh!) was attached, i.e., when I first bought the boat. For odor control I use Odorlos, which marine sanitation guru Peggy Hall recommends especially for installations with marginal venting. I do not have an odor problem with this head.
Good to know - I'll look into that product. Ugh, it had a bladder tank before? I guess they moved to the hard tank as it evolved. Even so, the tank is a lot of hassle I don't want to deal with. Plus, that frees up some space in the v-berth once I remove it and all the hoses.

6. One nice thing about this portable MSD unit is that it can be removed from the boat without too much hoopla. I've had it out maybe once or twice, I guess, to take home for a deep cleaning. But really, I just try to keep up with maintaining it by flushing through a bucket of fresh water after a long trip. (I fill the head with fresh water, go sail out 3 miles, and them dump it.) But the point is, I can pretty easily remove it should I want to do a more thorough cleaning off the boat.

I've been very happy with this installation. As I've said elsewhere, the practical capacity of this exceeds the 15 or so gallon tank I had on my 30 footer, due to how little flush water it requires. (It is, after all, essentially a glorified bucket in a lot of ways.) The toilet requires no real maintainence, such as lubing the pump or replacing joker valves. It just keeps on working.
These points are what have me drawn to this option.

Thanks for the great write-up, Alan!

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
2. You'll note the custom stainless bracket I had made that secures the front of the head. Behind the head (not shown in the pictures) is a wooden cleat that holds the rear of the toilet base in place. This stainless bracket I had fabricated is pretty fancy, but you could get by with something simpler. The point, though, is that the flimsy plastic brackets that ship with the unit are totally inadequate. You definitely don't want the thing coming up and out of the brackets in a seaway. I've had this installed for around 8 years and it is utterly solid.
In case my question got lost in the mix, @Alan Gomes, the knob on the front of your mounting plate - does it thread into a t-nut or what's going on there? Or maybe it has a hinge? Would appreciate some more details on this. Thanks!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
In case my question got lost in the mix, @Alan Gomes, the knob on the front of your mounting plate - does it thread into a t-nut or what's going on there? Or maybe it has a hinge? Would appreciate some more details on this. Thanks!
Well, I don't recall exactly what it looked like, but basically there is a hinged plate that mounts against the vertical wall of the platform. That vertical plate is threaded. No T-nut was involved.