Companionway door hinge mounting

SurabyaKid

Member III
My winter project has been building companionway doors. I'm to the point of mounting the hinges for them and was looking for insight/advice. The attached picture was taken during the first pass fitting and since then I have mounted the teak weather strip pieces in front and back that cover the seam between the two doors.

The hinges are the snap apart type that I think Loren posted here a while back. To clear the hatch board slide rail (the teak edge piece) the hinge will have to be mounted fairly close to the edge of the fiberglass bulkhead. On the interior side of the bulkhead, surrounding/framing the companionway, there are three solid teak pieces approximately two inches thick and deep.

I am thinking to drill through the fiberglass bulkhead and use one inch wood screws to anchor the hinges in the teak. I was also thinking to use silicon caulking in the holes prior to screwing everything into place.

Any advice/thoughts would be very welcome as I definitely want to get it right the first time and have not mounted anything in that location before.

Thanks,

Pat

Attachments

• companionway door.jpg
    companionway door.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,642

pick

Member II
I have doors on my companionway, I really like them. I'll try to take a photo next time I'm at the boat. Should be Monday or Tuesday. Then I have to figure out how to post them:confused:

Mike

pick

Member II
Here are the photos. Hope this helps. The hinges allow us to easily remove the doors by lifting up on them. When going offshore we replace them with hatch boards since they tend to open in rough weather. We sometimes tie a line across them to prevent that. We have a cover over them to protect them from the elements.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1921_1.JPG
    IMG_1921_1.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1916_1.jpg
    IMG_1916_1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1917_1.jpg
    IMG_1917_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 172

SurabyaKid

Member III
Thanks Mike!

I bought a different type hinge, but I think I may go back and look to see if they can be mounted on the teak hatchboard edge piece as you have done. I had the same thinking of removing the doors when hatchboards were more appropriate.

BTW...those doors look very good. Did you build them? What finish?

Pat

pick

Member II
Actually, they were on the boat when I got it. I use Cetol and have only put one coat on in the 6 years that we have owned it. I sometimes wonder if they were an option with Ericson. We have a cover (see photo) which stays snapped to the hatch cover and easily snaps into place whenever we leave the boat. Especially important since the doors face west in the moorage and get the full effect of the sun.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1909_1.JPG
    IMG_1909_1.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 954