Copper Coat bottom paint

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Has anyone used or had experience with the water base epoxy Copper Coat bottom paint? It is expensive but the promise of a long life and no hard fouling makes it sound good. I have seen it applied but the boat was in a marina I was doing a delivery from so no follow-up.

DanielW

E-28 Owner
Hey Randy, tried to respond to your private message about this but you've exceeded you're quota - quota hog !!!! tsk, tsk !

I had to redo around the waterline as it started to bubble and flake off in places around from the waterline to about three inches under the water; not sure whether this was due to bad prep (my bad) or because of an oil spill that affected my marina (a tanker T boned a bulk carrier about a mile away - second time in five years, idiots!), all the boats had to be hauled for chemical cleaning around the waterline so, despite Coppercoat's protests that this would not have affected the integrity of the product, it may have had something to do with it, seems strange as the rest of the boat was fine. Anyhow, luckily I had bought an extra bottle so we cleaned right back to the glass and re-applied and it's holding up nicely since applied - May this year. The first application was last summer.

One thing (and apparently this is a moan that lots of people who've applied out here in the Tropics have and doesn't seem to be an issue in cooler waters), the boat does still get a lawyer of fouling quite quickly, however, this is very easy to remove, the barnacles seem to take on the consistency of rice crispies and literally just slough off with a run of the scraper. I do a once monthly scrape.

I reckon they must attach, get a huge dose of copper poisioning and die.

So, for me, it's not the miracle, nothing will ever come near your hull again, product but diving the boat once a month is about the same as what I did before so no worries. As I said, they are long dead and very easy to remove by the time I get to them

I guess I'll have to wait a few years to see if it holds up; the one thing it has over conventional paints is that it doesn't leach so no need to haul and re-paint.

Fair winds from Singapore.

Daniel

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Rick

We are working on the boat and hope to be there late March or early April in time for the Dauphin Island race and Beer Cruise and any other excuse to go sailing on the coast, like great weather, light rain, cloudy day, sunny day or any other good reason.

What kind of bottom paint do you use and what is the frequency of cleaning and re applying?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rick

We are working on the boat and hope to be there late March or early April in time for the Dauphin Island race and Beer Cruise and any other excuse to go sailing on the coast, like great weather, light rain, cloudy day, sunny day or any other good reason.

What kind of bottom paint do you use and what is the frequency of cleaning and re applying?

We have the bottom cleaned by a diver every month in the summer and less in the winter. We use Seahawk Cukote 3442 on the bottom. Have done the bottom every two years although we could go three.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 119