cruelty to sailors

Emerald

Sat here end of last week looking out the glass fish bowl that earns the money at trees blowing and great sailing days. Weekend rolls around, and there isn't a true puff for two days. Last night, it cranks up again, and here I am Monday morning sitting behind the glass wall with the trees dancing again. Who's responsible for taking away the wind on the weekends and putting it back on Monday morning? I'd like to file a formal complaint!

:mad:

I think this is something like the 3rd weekend in a row our wind has hung out all week to split for the weekend.

Attachments

• no-wind.jpg
    no-wind.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 48

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have found raising a sail to be effective at stopping the wind. I think the sail causes swirls that stall the wind?????????????

Sven

Seglare
Kidding aside ...

10 or 15 years ago someone decided to see if it was really true that rain would be more likely on weekends in New England.

The study concluded that there was a statistically significant correlation between rain and weekends. The proposed explanation was that industrial activity west of New England would put enough particulates in the air to help precipitate rainfall towards the end of the week and the weekend. The particulates would be out of the system by the beginning of the following week.

Was it really true ? I don't know but it does make a certain amount of sense. I never read the actual paper, just the news accounts, so I can't tell how seriously one should have taken the reports.

Wind ... lots of hot air expended during the week ? :)

-Sven

erobitaille

Member II
I feel your pain. I didn't check the Noaa bouy or bother to look at the trees Sunday thinking it will be ok out on the Bay. Nad, ziltch, zip, nothing and I can't blow hard enough to move the 38.

Came back in and watched football.

bayhoss

Member III
I can't figure out how there is no wind. My boat has been on the hard for three weeks now. That is usally enough to bring the very best of wind!

Best,
Frank

Akavishon

Member III
wind wind

Last year a couple of large wind turbines popped up on Deer Island inside Boston Harbor ... I jokingly tell my landlubber passengers that they're meant to create some 'artificial' wind, for us sailors, on days when there's no 'natural' wind ... hard to believe, but several people bought that line :egrin:

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
This past summer meant that if Thursday on Lake Erie was a nice day then it would start raining Saturday morning. It seemed like we didn't have three nice days in a row before the rain started. Hot as _ _ _ _ also most of the summer "with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon".

stm

stm
I was out on the bay and in the harbor on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, in 8-12 knots with my wife. Perfect for her. Your right , no wind on Sunday. But my boat is clean.