"Cruising the NorthWest Coast" -- available again!

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
PS: I posted this on the (bay area) Singlehanded Sailing Society site, but think there are folks here who would also be interested, so I am adding a bit of information and posting here:

George Benson ("George B") had many forum posts various places have been extremely helpful to me, and I was aware he had also written a book, "Cruising the Northwest Coast", which covers anchorages and harbors running North of San Francisco (starting with Bolinas and Drake's Bay)

Unfortunately George passed away and the book has been out of print. That has changed: Jennifer Benson has kindly made the effort to get it onto Kindle (for a "limited time" -- unsure why, but assume it is because she is new to Kindle and does not want to commit to this version if it seems not to be working out for some reason.) The link is:

Kindle, "Cruising the Northwest Coast", $16: https://a.co/d/5Xhrg99

For those of us without Kindles, I can read it in a web browser using their "cloud reader", and Amazon also apparently has a Kindle app for iPads/iPhones, though I have yet to use that.

Here is a blurb about the book:

more importantly, it has a link to express interest in a paperback version, etc., which gets you on the mailing list if/when it comes out (which is how I found out about the Kindle edition):
To express interest and be placed on a waiting list – please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/DCnKnXdLvKprNWWj9

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this, and do not know any of the Benson's in any way. Just figured some here might want to know about the book availability. Also, I know of the book by reputation, not based on personal use (yet) of the information. George is/was pretty famous in these parts though, as far as I understand it. Certainly his web posts were/remain both kindly and super-informative.

PS: My quick perusal is that there are elements of handy wisdom spread in various places, but not quite the information density of some of George's web posts. Roughly speaking, each anchorage between SF Bay and Port Angeles, WA gets a (brief) page, with a photo(s) and some useful info. The book seems to date to a few years back, so references to bus lines (if in town), etc., may not be accurate, but the basics of the anchorages likely are. George specifically states that he thinks you need to do your own navigation and waypoints (I agree :) which means that unlike some cruising guides, this does not have chartlets with recommended waypoints. There are some helpful (but still brief) notes on a Northbound, near-shore cruising strategy for these waters. YMMV as they say; so far it was worth the $16 for me.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks for the information.

I did this trip last fall, using Charlies Charts 2012 edition and even that has become somewhat dated. For example, buoys no longer in place or in different places, ports dredged (or need to be dredged!) since then, and of course shoreside services all changed. Waypoints are good to have.

The Coast Pilot (volumes 10 and 7) usually provides an up to date reality check for these older guides, though it does not provide much detail or illustrations and must be parsed carefully.