Damp bulkhead base in wet locker of e38

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Wondering if anyone has run across this problem. I have a 82 e38 with continuous wet bulkhead bottoms inside the wet locker between the starboard settee and galley counter. It is where the teak sides of the locker meet the force grid areas. I have no leaks from the deck or deck/hull glassed joint and do not use the forward icebox except for dry storage. As the locker has been used in the past for wet gear it has some salt residue so the taste test isn't conclusive as to whether the water is salt or fresh. I've also had the aft water tank that sits just forward of the locker out and can't find any leaks there nor is the any leaks in the filler pipe from the deck fitting. It isn't bilge water and also the area under the galley drawers aft of the locker is dry.
It's driving me crazy and any insight would be grand.
Thanks,
C.A. Fields
"Nimue"

ref_123

Member III
Chalk test?

If it's a leak or a drip, a line of chalk drawn around the wet spot should show the direction where it comes from. Dry erase marker may be a good alternative for smooth surfaces. Prep will involve cleaning the area first, of course :).

Best of luck,
Stan

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Damp Bulkhead

Hi C.A. I had the same problem on our E38 (standard). It turned out to be a crack in the bottom of the filler hose where it makes a sharp bend before it entered the aft tank. Since the filler pipe is on the side of the tank, whenever I would fill the tank full, it would leak until it got below the level of the tank filler pipe. It took me a lot of searching before I discovered it since the only access was the little cover at the aft corner of the cabinet behind the settee. It turned out to be a head ache to try to fix since the filler hose drops down in back of the forward icebox (which we also use for dry storage) and is fiberglassed in place. I ended up taking the aft tank out to gain better access and discovered a pin hole leak at the bottom of the tank which was able to be welded. I was able to insert a section of new hose from the icebox bulkhead to the tank with a less sharp bend which solved the problem. I hope your leak is something else - something easier to fix! Let me know if I can be of help. Good Luck. Happy New Year. Dave Cahill, "SV Amazing Grace"

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Wet locker dampness

Thanks for the input Dave. I have attached a picture of the wet areas to see if that's what you were dealing with. Unfortunately, I have already replaced the hose to the aft tank and also had the tank out to repair the plastic water line to the valve manifold. I ended up using a hacksaw blade to cut insulating foam around the filler pipe from the forward side of the icebox bulkhead and also from the galley lazy susan cabinet. You are absolutely right, it is a stinker of a job.
I guess I'll be pulling the tank again to see if I've missed anything. Possibly the vent lines?
Thanks again and Happy New Year to you and Donna-Marie.

Attachments

• IMG_2154a.jpg
    IMG_2154a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 117

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Hi C.A. My problem was not quite as bad as yours appears to be. However, I am sure mine would have looked like yours if I had not found the leak when I did. Let me know what you find out is leaking. Thanks. Dave

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't know if you have Qest fittings on gray plastic water lines. If so, the compression fittings can leak in an absolutely undetectable way, should they develop a hairline crack in the housing that is invisible to the eye and only leaks under pressure. And of course the drip can sneakily travel many feet along the outside of the gray hose.

I'm a fan of Qest fittings since they're easy to change, but that sort of leak fooled me for months.

vbenn

Member III
wet bulkheads at base of wet locker

I had a similar problem on my 1987 PSC E380. M-Yachts in Annapolis traced the leak to the hull-deck joint. They removed the rub rail, scraped out as much of the old sealant as possible, re-sealed, and reinstalled the rub rail. Haven't had a problem since, but am now faced with how to repair the wet bulkheads. BTW, the leak penetrated the edge of the cabin sole which became darkened and spongy. I will likely replace the entire sole this spring.

Vince Benn

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 49
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 125.jpg