differences in designs

pknier

i see E-35-1, 35-2, 35-3's then MK1, II, & III's can someone help me to understand and recognize the differences betweeen these models. thank-you, phil

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
E35 Family

Hey Phil -

This is just off the top of my head, but...

The E35 family started with the Ericson/Alberg design that was very, very different from the last 35 designs of the early 90's (I think that's when they stopped).

The early 35's had Atomic 4 gas engines in them, mounted in the salon beneath the aft portion of the settee, and were very much narrower (about a 9' beam) than the later models. In the late 70's they moved the engine aft, beneath the companionway ladder, made a couple of other changes to the cockpit and the E35-2 was born.

Then in 83, they widened the boat totally to 11'3', changed the configuration somewhat, and added a separate shower and a bunch of other goodies.

The 'original' E35 had a full keel - the E35-2, a 'swept' fin, and the E35-3 a 'delta keel'. The E35 and E35-2 both have softer lines and are more sea kindly than the E35-3 - which is a rounded bottom design.

But.....the E35-3 is (I think) easier to entertain on.... :egrin: so you have to know what you want....

There are some reviews in the documents section on all three models, and there is an 'original' E35 site in the links section.

Are you considering an E35?

//sse