DIY "Envelope" for Companionway Hatch Board Stowage

peaman

Sustaining Member
An Ericson-owning friend convinced me a year ago to buy a Sail-Rite sewing machine, and I have found it to be a really good tool. One of my first "original" creations provides a way to stow Ericson original companionway hatch boards to keep them together with minimum wear and tear. A few people have encouraged me to share the design, so here it is.

IMG_3779.JPG
The finished article, with a webbing strap and buckle for adjustable closure.

IMG_3778.JPG
The hatch boards are placed in their individual pockets so they don't wear against one another. The longest board usually has a metal lock hasp, so a wearing pad should be placed where shown on the sketch below to minimize damage to the envelope or other hatch boards.

IMG_3781.JPG
Sketch showing fabrication of pieces and overall assembly. Sunbrella is suggested as the fabric for the envelope, and the reinforced patch for the lock hasp can be Sail-Rite "Shelter-Rite" vinyl, additional layers of Sunbrella, or other wear resistant material. Dimensions shown above may need to be adjusted according to need. An asterisk (*) has been placed next to some dimensions requiring verification according to your own hatch boards. Dimensions shown apply to my 1987 E32-3.

IMG_3784.JPG
Sketch showing general construction of the envelope. in the sketch at right, the numbers indicate the required or recommended sequence for sewing.

I have come to greatly appreciate having this envelope, as it keeps the boards together in a stylish and convenient protective container. If you decide to make your own, and have questions, I will be happy to answer them as well as I can, either here, or by PM.

peaman

Sustaining Member
An important point that should be noted: I used a hot knife purchased from Sailrite to cut the Sunbrella parts so that edges would not fray, while avoiding the need for hemmed edges. Hemmed edges would provide a more finished appearance, but I have found that in most cases, careful use of the hot knife will produce a good result without added bulk and complexity.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
An Ericson-owning friend convinced me a year ago to buy a Sail-Rite sewing machine, and I have found it to be a really good tool. One of my first "original" creations provides a way to stow Ericson original companionway hatch boards to keep them together with minimum wear and tear. A few people have encouraged me to share the design, so here it is.

View attachment 48768
The finished article, with a webbing strap and buckle for adjustable closure.

View attachment 48769
The hatch boards are placed in their individual pockets so they don't wear against one another. The longest board usually has a metal lock hasp, so a wearing pad should be placed where shown on the sketch below to minimize damage to the envelope or other hatch boards.

View attachment 48770
Sketch showing fabrication of pieces and overall assembly. Sunbrella is suggested as the fabric for the envelope, and the reinforced patch for the lock hasp can be Sail-Rite "Shelter-Rite" vinyl, additional layers of Sunbrella, or other wear resistant material. Dimensions shown above may need to be adjusted according to need. An asterisk (*) has been placed next to some dimensions requiring verification according to your own hatch boards. Dimensions shown apply to my 1987 E32-3.

View attachment 48771
Sketch showing general construction of the envelope. in the sketch at right, the numbers indicate the required or recommended sequence for sewing.

I have come to greatly appreciate having this envelope, as it keeps the boards together in a stylish and convenient protective container. If you decide to make your own, and have questions, I will be happy to answer them as well as I can, either here, or by PM.
I too just bought a Sailrite machine at the Annapolis Sailboat show (20% off show sale) this year because the quotes I was getting for new interior cushions were in a word…ASTRONOMICAL! One Annapolis cushion maker wanted $15k to do the work and she never even looked at the boat. Already made my first cushion, which turned out great, and have found Sailrite to be a great source for supplies, tools and especially advice through their numerous how-to videos and quick, sometimes same day, responses to my emailed questions. The biggest plus is that I’m learning a new skill since I’ve never sewn a single stitch before with a machine but I have by hand when I use to repair my old now long gone sails. So now I can do it all! Diesel engine work, fiberglass repair, electronics, plumbing, rigging and now sewing. :geek: