Dorade vents leaking

Baslin

Member III
The starboard dorade vent is leaking into my cabin. I have an 1983 E38. Any way to repair this or seal it?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes the leaks can be fixed

A little more info on where the water is entering the cabin would help. The dorades forward of the mast on the early E38s are constructed with plywood floors that are part of the deck core. So these areas are built-in leaks that may never have been sealed. Despite being covered and cowled the dorade boxes can get wet inside. Water in there could wet the core of the deck over time and could creep around in the core fore and aft and find a way into the cabin in a variety of ways. The space between the dorades, if it has a long round ended opening, has a plywood floor also with the same issue - it is resting on the lower layup of the cabin roof and is therefore connected to the core.

The tubes that carry the air into the cabin, entering on either side of the mast, are usually PVC that is glassed into the plywood floor. The resin and glass don't stick to the PVC very well in some cases and have to be dealt with. A leak there could lead to a leak around the vent holes in the cabin ceiling, and also wet the deck core.

Do a search on the forum for dorade and you'll find a number of threads that might help. I have a blog post on dorade area repairs and am still in the middle of a remedy.

hodo

Member III
dorade leaks

If you are speaking of the forward dorades, which vent the head and forward cabin, I fixed mine by removing the dorades, getting rid of the plywood mess in the box, using fiberglass exhaust tube to replace the pvc tubes. Epoxy will secure it in place. You will need to cut a bevel to match the angle of the box on the upper end. I then attached Vetus stainless mushroom vents in place of the dorades. Also closed off the oval "beer can holders" with Starboard. I also installed a Vetus 12V box fan in the head. Low draw, 2 speed.
Harold, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Baslin

Member III
yes im talking about the forward dorade vents. the leak is coming through the starboard side cabin vent. after inspection, i have found that i definitely have a leak coming through the dorade vent guard deck fittings. I will try and rebed those this week. We are expected to have sunshine and 70 degrees all week down here on the Gulf. Once I get those rebedded and sealed off, I will check for further leaks.

Harold, I would like to see some pictures of your repairs if you have any. I would be interested in replacing or repairing the plywood inside the dorade vent box.

"if a boat doesn't have a leak, it's looking for one".........

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ahah! The other thread proposes that the open box was intended to store winch handles, back when winches were on the mast.

Makes sense at last. My Dorade box is OK, limber holes are open and drain. Previous owner sealed and painted the "winch box" interior floor.