dousing sock

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Anyone ever led a spinnaker (asymmetrical) dousing sock’s lines aft to the cockpit?

Thanks

Seth

Sustaining Partner
socks

You can do it, but remember that the control lines stay with the sock. If you lengthened the control lines, you COULD run them both aft by using a pair of snatch blocks, probably mounted one in front of the other at the forward end of the outboard track, then to a cleat in the cockpit.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you might try cutting the line in the middle, and attaching a shackle or brummel hook at each end, and have the 2 lines which run aft permanently installed-also with brummel hooks at each end. When you hoist the sock (keep the control lines hooked together when not in use and when raising/lowering), separate the control line halves and attach them to the permanent lines, and you will have a continuous loop.

The issues will be seeing if you can do this and either keep the brummel hooks FORWARD of the snatch blocks (careful measuring here-maybe not feasible) OR, use snatch blocks big enough (and control lines small enough) that the hooks can pass through them.

I just thought of this and have not thoroughly thought it through, but it might work...

Let me know,
S

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Seth,

I did set up my Chute Scoop with the dousing lines led aft. Instead of snatch blocks I have a small double block that stays with the pull lines and is attached to a stanchion base with a small carabineer. The trick was figuring out how to capture and cleat the lines off near the cockpit and still be able to remove everything. I’ll take some photos if anyone is interested. Haven't gotten out with the setup yet but it works great in the slip!

Mark
1968 E23 Mk1

Seth

Sustaining Partner
scooping

Sounds good-same approach but more appropriate for the size of your boat. Since this is a double-ended line you can wrap them together around any available cleat in the area where they are led, or even a hitch around a cabin top winch(if you have one). Even if the winch is loaded with a halyard. you can still wrap the double-ended line around the winch and snug off the lines.

Good on ya!