Dripless for E38-200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Taugher

Member II
I aked the question a couple of months ago and received responses, but not from E38-200 owners. What I'm wondering is...Is there sufficient room to fit the PSI Dripless in the E38-200. The PO said there wasn't room, but I would prefer to hear the answer from someone not trying to sell their boat at the moment. Are there any E38-200 owners out there with Dripless?

Thanks in advance.

Don Taugher
Running Free # 263

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Pictures...

Hi Don,
I'm headed to the boat later this morning and I'll take some pictures. We have hull 262, so it should be a pretty darn similar fit:D
Chris

Glyn Judson

Dripless system

All, Many if not most of you have had nothing but good service from your dripless packing system but I've always had a nagging sense that if the bellows were to fail while under way, they had the potential for making an emergency repair that much harder. Last week a Beneteau in her slip right behind my boat was seen lying low on her lines and it turned out that the darned bellows had failed. She would be on the bottom now but for the watchful eye of a neighbor. Vessel Assist came to the rescue and they packed the leak with two wax toilet rings, plastic wrap and light line. She's out of the water now presumably being fixed. The current generation of Teflon impregnated flax and the Teflon putty used with it has served me well for years now. I spotted a slight trickle at the packing earlier this summer and the fix was to simply tighten the cup no more than 2-3 degrees. For me the simplicity of that Teflon flax and putty appeals far more than having a bellows in the same place. Glyn

wurzner

Member III
I with Glyn on this one...the teflon flaxes are pretty slick (excuse the pun). One thing you may want to differentiate is where the engine is on your 38-200. On my -200, the engine is under the galley and likely has no room for a dripless due to dimensional restrictions. I'm sure your configuration is the same since the models with the engine behind the stairs likely have much more room.

shaun

Don Taugher

Member II
Dear Chris:

I look forward to the photo, yes I think our boats are quite similiar. This past winter I refinished YOUR dining table. Written with a marker on the underside of the table is # 262. It came out quite nice, sorry you can't have it back.
I enjoy reading the progress of your projects with Sequoia, looks like a fine boat.

Regards,

Don Taugher
# 263 Running Free

CaptnNero

Accelerant
bellows failure

... Last week a Beneteau in her slip right behind my boat was seen lying low on her lines and it turned out that the darned bellows had failed.

Hi Glyn,

Well at least those boats are replaceable ;)

Thanks for the warning on the bellows. Of course it sure would be nice if we knew in what way that bellows failed. When I installed mine the only thing I was concerned about is if the stainless sealing ring that slips over the shaft somehow comes loose and the 3/4" or so of bellows compression pushes the shaft sealing ring clear.

Thinking out loud I might just put something synthetic between the stainless ring and the coupler so it can't move backwards even if the set screws fell out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.