E-23 Shroud Issue Below Deck

msk0301

I'm a new owner of a 1975 E-23 that needs some work. I discovered an issue with the shroud below deck on the starboard side. The fiberglass has cracked, and I am not sure what structure behind the fiberglass the shroud is or should be connected to. We are going to open it up and take a look, but thought I would ask the group to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this. The port side shroud seems fine, it is connected to the bulkhead.

16473.jpeg

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Are you able to observe the mini bulkhead (probably called a knee) flexing when sailing? Or get it to move by pushing on it? Does the crack extend around the backside? It looks like a pretty robust structure so it's hard for me to visualize how tension on the rigging could transfer to just this one edge of the knee.

Some additional photos would be helpful of the backside of the knee and the chainplate.

It would also be good to see whats underneath. Is there an access port nearby? It may just be a cosmetic crack or a manufacturing flaw where the gelcoat is flaking off.

If it is structural, it looks like a pretty straightforward (but messy) fiberglass reinforcement job to tie the knee to the bench. Getting it to look good is the hard part.

msk0301

Are you able to observe the mini bulkhead (probably called a knee) flexing when sailing? Or get it to move by pushing on it? Does the crack extend around the backside? It looks like a pretty robust structure so it's hard for me to visualize how tension on the rigging could transfer to just this one edge of the knee.

Some additional photos would be helpful of the backside of the knee and the chainplate.

It would also be good to see whats underneath. Is there an access port nearby? It may just be a cosmetic crack or a manufacturing flaw where the gelcoat is flaking off.

If it is structural, it looks like a pretty straightforward (but messy) fiberglass reinforcement job to tie the knee to the bench. Getting it to look good is the hard part.
Thanks. The boat is still on the trailer so we tugged on the mast from the port side and noticed some flexing. No access ports so we are going to cut it open and hopefully is not a major structural issue.

Wondering if others have experienced this issue.