E 23 variations

Bob in Va

Member III
I understand that E 23s were built in fixed keel and centerboard models, but sources list E 23-1 and E 23-2 models. Can anyone tell me the difference? I am specifically wondering if there was a tall rig variation offered, as I have some sails for an E 23 that don't fit my spars - the main is about 1.5' too short on the luff and 1.5' too long on the foot, and the jibs are also too short on the luff. Thanks for any light you can shed on this topic.

mdgann

'76 E23
Mk 1 sails

It looks like you have Mk 1 sails that do not fit. I am not sure of the year of the change over, but the "I" (deck to top of mast) measurement on a Mk 1 is 26.5 and Mk 2 is 29. The "E" or main foot measurement is 9.5 on the Mk1 and 7.5 on the Mk2. They have a similar area, but the higher aspect ratio of the Mk2 would make it a more efficient sail. The differences in the luffs of the mains was alot more than 1.5 feet (25.33-21.00=4.33 ft!!). So maybe the sails are not Mk 1 sails.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Pretty much right

Very true that the rigs were quite a bit different-the boats are pretty different, too

The main thing is a matter of definition-the "I" is not from the deck to the top of the mast. As we have said so often, the "I" extends from the TOP of the genoa halyard sheave (technically a line extending out perpendicular to the mast from the top of this sheave) down to a point near the shearline, which cannot be measured exactly-but the closet point you CAN measure is the deck (or about 1/2" BELOW the deck) RIGHT at the chainplates near the outboard rail. Do NOT measure down to the cabin top, mast step, or aything like that-this will be too short. The "J" is from the front of the mast out to the stem fitting a the bow (roughly, again).

Cheers,
S